Upgrade Question

SULLY1

VIP Member
Hi list.

We just completed a test upgrade in a sandbox environment i.e. separate oracle instance(copied B733.1 into it) and new deployment server. Before I started I made the deployment server look like our old one i.e. changed planner database and oracle database to point to the new deployment server name and oracle instance. That all went fine.

Here is our setup. We have two enterprise servers Finance and Findev. Finance has the oracle instance B732P which contains production and the shared datasources sysb733 etc. Findev has crp, dev and pristine.

For the Xe upgrade we want to use our new deployment server, plus create new oracle instances for XE called OWPD on the Finance box for production and OWDV on Findev box for everything else.

Now I'm ready to upgrade for real. I have two questions.

1. Do I need to have B733.1 on the new deployment server before a begin the upgrade? Does the upgrade even look at the old release on the deployment server?

2. In order to save(not wipe out) our B733.1 crp environment we decided to make of copy of crpdta and crpctl in the new oracle instance OWDV then change F98611 in jdeplan.mdb to point these two datasources to OWDV. Will this work? Does the upgrade look at sysb733 F98611 to determine where the files are or does it just look at the planner database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patty

B733.1\SP7.1\Oracle 8.0.5\Ent HP-UX 11.0

Upgrading to XE\SP15.1\U3

Patty,
your setup really confuses me a little. But you asked streight questions,
here are my answers (I hope you get others as well).

1. Yes, you DO need to have B733.1 on the deployment server you are doing
the upgrade on. When you start creating your upgrade plan, you inform
what release you are upgrading from. According to that information, OW
looks for the old planner database, in your case \\DEPLOYMENT_SERVER\B733
\planner\data\jdeplan.mdb. You will find an ODBC datasource called
OneWorld Previous Planner (or similar). From there OW extracts the path
to your old system datasource (SYSTEM - B733). Now it goes to that old
system datasource and copies all necessary information like Datasources,
OCM, etc into it´s new planner database. It needs all that information
because it has to know where the old stuff is coming from.

2. You see the described copy (point 1) actually happening. After it's
done, revise all your datasource paths in your planner database before
you execute the sperc merges, table conversions, etc in the workbench. I
have done this many times and it always worked. In almost all Upgrades I
have done the client took the opportunity and upgraded the hardware as
well. If for some reason you create a new, second plan, you will have to
revise your settings again, because they will be copied again from the
old system DS.

One word of caution: OW really does not know two deployment servers. As I
understand your setup, you have two deployment servers with two different
names on the same network. I would always simply change (substitute) the
old DS hardware without changing the name and then do the upgrade process
on the new hardware.

Good luck with your upgrade,

Gerd Renz
CNC Consultant

Hi Patty,

Yes, you will need to install B733.1 on your new deployment server.

Steps:

1. Install NT on Both server.
2. Install Oracle on the Enterprise.
3. Install B7331 on Deployment server and enterprise servers with all environements. Test the connectivity.
4. Once you get it working, backup both server.
5. Copy the deployment server B733 directory from the old deployment server and copy all the databases from the old environment server to the new environment. (you should refresh CRP data from Prod and central objects also)
6. You are going to have to change the server names in many SYSTEM tables.
7. Test connectivity.
8. Backup servers.
9. Upgrade to XE.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this approach?

Adrian Valentim
Valmatrix Consulting Inc.

Thanks for the responses. To clarify the set up a little...the two enterprise servers are Unix boxes. This is where the oracle database resides.

I did talk to JDE and they concur about having B733.1 on the deployment server. We are still keeping the old deployment server until production is upgraded. B733.1 will think NTSERV03(old) is the deployment server and XE will think NTSERVJDE(new) is the deployment server. This worked during the test upgrade. They only difference now is that I will not have a copy of SYSB733 tables in the new instance but I don't think that will cause a problem.

As far as copying CRPDTA and CRPCTL to the new instance. JDE just said to make sure the JDEPLAN.MDB knows where to convert. I'll look at F98611 before I create the plan to make sure that these two files are pointed to the correct instance. I'll also check the plan files before running the workbench to make sure the plan has it right.

Patty

B733.1\SP7.1\Oracle 8.0.5\Ent HP-UX 11.0

Upgrading to XE\SP15.1\U3

Back