Negative Commitments

lyqueen

hello to all,

has anyone experienced a negative quantity for commitments under P41202 Summary availablity before?

in my case, it's return sales. does anyone know if there are any other ways there can be negative commitments?

how/when will it be updating the onhand and availability quantities correctly?

appreciate any response.

thanks!

lyqueen
One World XE B7333, SP 13
Intel NT4,SP 6A
SQL 7, SP 2

Yes, you can get a negative commitment from the sales order system. Last time I checked ( about a year ago ) you could not get a negative commitment out of the manufacturing system. Although some clients think that negative commitments in manufacturing are a good thing, others feel it's a bad thing so last time I heard they weren't planning on changing the program to allow manufacturing to create negative commitments. Of course a lot of things can change in a year. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

We get negative commitments here, but they are usually caused by a user experiencing a crash in order entry, etc. We have a query that runs hourly to detect negative commitments so we can repost that item.

It seems to wreak havoc on availability checking, so we try to detect it and repost as soon as possible. From what I've seen, the {basic} calculation for available is On hand - committed = available. If you have a negative commitment, then by subtracting a negative you're actually adding stock. A pickslip could print with no inventory in that case.

I can't think of a valid reason why you would ever have a negative commitment that is not in error?! Anybody have any ideas as to why it could be possible?

Justin Revoredo
Amersham Biosciences
Piscataway, NJ
OW B7332 Coexistence SP11.1
AS/400 Oracle
Citrix/Fat
upgrading to Xe!

Just a thought about negative commitments here. Scenario: You need 200 ft of a 1000 ft spool of material. You issue the 1000 ft to the WO, thereby generating a neg commitment of 800 ft. That shows as "available" to satisfy subsequent requirements even before the 800 is returned to stock. This would more accurately reflect availability, and reduce the number of MRP messages.

Mfg & Distribution
[email protected]

Possible cause by:
1. Sales Order Entry - bypass check item availability.
2. Credit qty more than on hand quantity.

If not, try re-post.

Hope it will help

Why would you want a negative commitment?

In manufacturing sometimes you have to do re-work and disassemble a sub assembly or a kit and put the component parts back in stock if they are in new condition. In those cases it would be nice to create a work order for a negative amount, which would theoretically show the component parts as a negative commitment. This would have the result of increasing your quantity available and prevent you from over ordering material. It would have the same results as if you actually created a work order to produce these component parts. So it would be beneficial because it would be a more accurate representation of your expected quantity available. Last time I heard, JDE was not going to alter the program to allow negative commitments because while it makes senses in some industries, other people have a hard time with the concept.

Hi There

I'm new to the forum, so please excuse any faux pas on my part.

Our credit process involves an inventory adjustment and a sales credit. Since our sales credits are set to NOT update inventory at sales update time, we have created a non-inventory line type (SC) for credits. This ensures that they have no effect on our commitments. We have been running like this for 3 years now with no issues. The extra administration of order activity rules etc are more than worthwhile for us in this case.

Grant Harding

Back