Multiple Foundation AS/400

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Ok...I am this close to setting up multiple foundations in an AS/400 env with SP 18_D. However I have some questions/reservations...I looked at the JDE documentation last night and it seems pretty straight forward, it made no mention of ensing services in the live env.

I guess I would like to know if anyone on the list has done this in a 400 env and if it's as simple as the documentation makes it out to be, and is it something I should attempt during a normal business day or should I make it a weekend project. I would appreciate any advice, because I really need ti get this rolling soon.

Cleola Isaacs
CNC Administrator/Network Analyst
Xe Update 2 SP 16
Enterprise AS/400
WTS NT 4.0

Cleola,

This past week we completed the configuration of multiple foundations on
AS/400 on our Development LPar.

We are, currently, configured as such:
* Dev LPar - SP 14.2(DV, TS, PY)
* Dev LPar - SP 18.x(MF - Multiple Foundation)
* Prod Lpar - SP 14.2(VP - Verification/copy of PY, PD-Production)

We decided to attempt the Multiple Foundation - to test SP 18.x with the
least impact to development... JDE has been rather thoughtful in expressing
that Multiple Foundations within the Same LPar are not a 'suggested
feature.'

Our CMA (David Miner) can answer any specific question; should you have any.
Dave is very swamped and said that he'd answer questions as requested...

Daniel Bohner
[email protected]
www.existinglight.net
JDE - XE & AS/400
JDE - B7331 & MS SQL 7x

I have done it in an AS/400 environment on V5R1. It was a dream. I would
highly recommend it. The documentation is very good.

Re: RE: Multiple Foundation AS/400

The documentation is good as long as you have a very good understanding of how it all works. The one thing that I would stress that is in the documentation is to make sure in your test service pack library jde.ini, that you use a different port number and IPC set of numbers. As long as you do that, then it won't interfere with the your current set of services. If you're careful you can work on the second set of services during the day.

Re: RE: Multiple Foundation AS/400

Worked fine at our site but we had trouble with some one-offs which is tackled in doc OTI-01-0270.

Richard Stam
CNC/System Administration
OW XE SP16_19, CO on AS400 Enterprise Server on V4R5 Citrix XP and some NT/W2K Fat Clients

heya,

My first mail...hope i'll be helpful for some peoples...

we've done the multiple foundation on our AS/400 for the XE upgrade.
We had to do it because we already had an XE SP (SP14.1) on our B7332 system and the documentation didnt mention this problem.

Indeed the XE installation would have replaced the B7333SYS SP14 lib by the old SP13 bib supplied with the CD, and we wanted to test XE in SP18 without deploying it to the B7332 Prod running system. Another is that it would give some troubles during the coexstence as far as B7332 and XE ini files are different (TCP/IP port and so on...)

We did everything manually as far as we didnt totally trust the commands provided in the documentation and as we wanted to know exactly how the things happen when jde starts or stops on an AS/400
So now 2 JDE systems are running totally independently in 2 subsystems on the same machine
- JDE SP14.1 B7332 PRD, DEV with service waiting on port 6008
- JDE SP18.1 XE PY with service waiting on port 6009

A nice stuff about running 2 systems is that it allows you to build packages in XE without getting annoyed by the B7332 stop needed to save the prod libraries
I think i'll also keep these 2 systems to allow specific access from deployment server to Enterprise Server even after the migration (for packages and so on...)
If anybody needs further information about what needs to be done i'll paste there the steps we followed
hoping my literature was helpful...
great thanks again to all pplz there who make this list live :)

I have completed setting up the multiple foundations however I have a question...

When I started the services for the new subsystem only the SENTINEL service came up the NETWORK did not start. Does anyone know why this is happening. I am unable to do a successful PORTTEST for the new subsystem. I have not yet build the package. Do I have to first build and deploy the package before the NETWORK will Start.

Any Help will be appreciated...you can e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Cleola Isaacs
CNC Administrator/Network Analyst
Xe Update 2 SP 16
Enterprise AS/400
WTS NT 4.0

Hi,

If i remember correctly we had a similar problem after taking a one-off on the SP we tried then.

doc OTI-01-0270 helped us, hope it can help you also

Richard Stam
CNC/System Administration
OW XE SP16_19, CO on AS400 Enterprise Server on V4R5 Citrix XP and some NT/W2K Fat Clients

Back