removing formatted grids

libbi_fletcher

Well Known Member
Upon upgrading from B733.2 to XE, we are receiving commit failed errors in
the Financials. We have found that if we remove formatted grids, these
errors disappear. Has anyone experience this after upgrading to XE? Is
there something that should have occurred during the upgrade that didn't?
Any input would be appreciated, because Support didn't have a clue.

XE Update 3 17.1_F1 AS400 W2K NT

Libbi Fletcher
HoMedics, Inc.
M.I.S. Department
248-863-3001 ext. 1281
[email protected]

If you are talking about grid fromat...yes there are issues with it in Xe. try to limit their use as much as possibel....JDE has been trying to fix this for a while now. I was told that Update 4 should fix it...key word here "Should"

Cleola Isaacs
CNC Administrator/Network Analyst
Xe Update 2 SP 16
Enterprise AS/400
WTS NT 4.0

Libbi,

I believe that part of the upgrade process calls for someone to clear the F98950 tables in all environments. This is done to prevent the problems that you are seeing now. Also, when you apply Service Packs in the future, it is a good idea to clear them again. Just be warned that any grid formats that your company has set up as default for all users for specific applications will need to be recreated after each clearing of the F98950.

Just like the other post said, JDE has been having problems with User Overrides since B7331. Maybe even earlier, that's just when I started working with JDE.

I hope this helps.

Dan Richards
Plexus Corp.
Xe, SP16.1, XU3, RS6000, Oracle 8.1.7, Metaframe XPe

We've just gone to Xu4 and SP18 and as a consequence had to clear down F98950 and lose the suer overrides. Now we're still configuring up but even so we're (read I'm) getting a fair amount of "concern" from the team about losing their desired layouts. I understand JDE have changed the binary format in F98950 to xml to "sort" this issue but was surprised theer wasn't a way to migrate. If we'd been live and lost the screen layouts we like the "concern" would have been considerable.

I've seen a couple of posts saying people routinely clear down F98950 on Service Packs so the question is ..... Should we not be using grid formats at all - are they only ever regarded as temporary, quick fixes?

Regards,
Richard
OneWorld Xe B7333 Win2k sp17
Oracle 8.1.7 Win2k
WebSphere/JAS Win2k
JAVA/HTML Clients across WAN/LAN

Richard,

Here's our practice regarding User Overrides / custom grid formats:

The general rule is: "Use them but be prepared to lose them!"

Translated this means any overrides / grid formats that are setup to be part of a process should be documented (screen shots) so that they may be recreated when service packs or updates are installed. Users are encouraged to document their favorite grid formats also for the purpose of re-applying after a SP/Update.

The custom grid formats are far too useful to say "don't use them". But you must recognize that application errors may occur if you do not wipe them out before a major update and then reapply afterwards.

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Larry,

That is a great policy! I'm going to write that down.

Thanks.

Ken

XE SP 16
Win2000/Oracle 8.1.6.

OK but ... we have some grids we want to be used company wide (pretty much) so should we be defining a new version of the screen instead rather than using a *PUBLIC override?

Regards,
Richard
OneWorld Xe B7333 Win2k sp17
Oracle 8.1.7 Win2k
WebSphere/JAS Win2k
JAVA/HTML Clients across WAN/LAN

I just finished a test upgrade to XE. I forgot to delete the user overrides. When in the process should they be deleted? Can I delete them now?

Patty

B733.1\SP7.1\Oracle 8.0.5\Ent HP-UX 11.0

Upgrading to XE\SP15.1\U3

Patty,

I did the same thing with upgrading without deleting the user
overrides. I found that certain users were having problems with a
commit fail error. With those users I deleted all overrides and it
worked properly for them. Don't know if this helps but this is what
happened to me.

Colin

Richard,

you can trade the process of deleting and reapplying a grid override for a screen (approximately 10 - 15 minutes) for the process of
1) making a customized version of a program/screen
2) examining all ESUs / Updates for changes to the original
3) applying identified changes to customized version
4) and testing to ensure changes done correctly
at a cost of 'X' hours if you want to. Personally I'd rather live with the Overrides.

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Back