Changing Enterprise Server

rhunt01

Well Known Member
My company has considered switching out our AS/400 for an 8-Way NT/SQL2000 server some time this year. Of course, a portion of the decision is based on whether or not I can successfully do it since I am our only CNC person. I tried to begin my research on the whole affair through JDE, but they are dead set on me going through either their consultants or a business partner. That is probably not an option…

Because we did have a consulting firm for our implementation (in which was not involved), I am painfully aware that I need to prepare before being able to do this. If anyone has experience switching out an enterprise server (especially AS/400 to NT), please provide me with an outline of what you think an appropriate plan of action would be. If you know of specific documents that I will want to read, please include those as well.

All input is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Ryan Hunt
OneWorld XE; Update2; SP17.1_B1
AS400; V4R5
DS: Win2k SP2, SQL 7.0 SP3
TSE's: Win2k(SP2) & NT4.0(SP6a) with Metaframe 1.8

Ryan,

The way I would approach this (at a high level).

. Run an Installation Plan to add a new Enterprise Server.
. Install Win2k Host Code on new server.
. Run SQL2000 User and Database creation scripts as per a new install.
. Create a new datasource corresponding to every datasource on your AS/400 for this environment (i.e. TMP Business Data - Prod)
. Use R98403 to copy each and every datasource to the accompanying 'TMP' datasource, which will move it to SQL from DB2.

Then, one environment at a time, starting with Dev, move this environment to Win2k / SQL, and test

. Change the applicable original data sources (i.e Business Data - Test) to point to the SQL DB instead of the AS/400 for the environment specific data source.
. Change the Table OCM for this environment(on the SQL server, both in System and Server Map) to point to the TMP datasource for System / Server Map / OL /DD, which are now on your SQL server.
. Look at your new enterprise server in P9654A. Verify that the environment your are testing shows up in the 'Environments' Row Exit, and that the installation path listed is correct, and has environment sub-directories under it on the Win2k server.
. Update F98611 / F986101 in TMP-System and TMP-Server Map to reflect new server name - a detailed description is found in OTI-01-0083 on KG.
. Test - Porttest, then client login, then UBE / printing, then package build.

I have left out lots of little steps, but the server logs usually give you a good indication of the problem.

Hope that helps a bit,

Scott MacIntosh
Xe SP 16.1 / Upd 2
JDE CNC (Unix / Oracle / Win2k / SQL Svr)
Interop (COM / Java)

Scott,

Thank you very much for the response! That is exactly the type of input I was looking for. I am going through the "Installation Guide (Windows NT Systems)", and a document titled, "Adding an NT or Windows 2000 Server with an NT or Windows 2000 Enterprise Server" right now. Even though the former explains a brand new install and the latter deals with an App server, I am hoping that your input and these sources will give me the necessary info.

Thanks again!

Ryan Hunt
OneWorld XE; Update2; SP17.1_C1
AS400; V4R5

Scott or other listers,

As a slight change to the plan Scott described, does the following sound feasible? Is there anything I am missing that would either make this impossible, undesirable, or more difficult?

-Run a Custom Installation Plan to add a new enterprise server
-Set the new ES up with new environments: (i.e. TPD7333, TPY7333, TDV7333) (on unique PORT number)
-Install Win2k Host code on the new server
-Set the new environments to use the same pathcode and central objects on the deployment server that the current PD7333, PY7333, and DV7333 environments use.
-Build server packages from these pathcodes and central objects to match exactly what is being used in my user environment.
-Setup Replication between corresponding Environments and Enterprise Server.
For instance: AS/400/DB2 (DV7333) replicates DD, Versions, Control Tables, System, and Business Data to Win2k/SQL2000 (TDV7333) DD, Versions, Control Tables, System, and Business Data.
Accordingly, all datasources for Txx333 environments would reside on Win2k/SQL2000 and current deployment server.
-Set up all printers within our computing environment on the new Enterprise Server.
-Proceed with testing, …interactive, UBE, printing, connectivity with Citrix and output queues

Then, after all testing shows success, can I simply down the system for a weekend and:
-Change the current DV7333 to ODV7333 (for old) and re-define the TDV7333 as DV7333.
-Change all OCM’s for DV7333 from the AS/400 libraries to the corresponding Win2k/SQL2000 directories

Am I over simplifying this?

Ryan Hunt
OneWorld XE; Update2; SP17.1_C1
AS400; V4R5

I'm not sure what replication you are referring to but if it is OneWorld "Replication", I wouldn't count on it. If it is SQLServer data migration tool, I don't think this will work because of the blob issue. OneWorld would have to de-chunk the AS400 blobs for SQLServer to work correctly.

JD Nowell
OW: B7332
ES: AS400 V4R4 CO: DB2/400 SP: 11.2
Users: 250 TSE Users: 100

Hi Ryan,

I would say you are on the right track.

Unless for some reason you need an environment available on both servers at once (e.g. what you call DV7333 and TDV7333), I think you will find it easier to move environments instead of creating new ones.
This might remove your replication step, which I didn't understand well.

You should be able to use port 6009 for all servers / envs, unless you decide to run multiple foundations at some point.

Good Luck.

Scott MacIntosh
Xe SP 16.1 / Upd 2
Interop (COM / Java)

There is also the client side of this that I forgot to mention. Each workstation needs to have its JDE.INI updated to point to the new server, DB, DB type, security server when appropriate, and they need the ODBC's set up. Maybe you can automate this if you have many fat clients.

Scott MacIntosh
Xe SP 16.1 / Upd 2
Interop (COM / Java)

Back