DEP vs Planner Environment

DCD

I am relatively new to the OneWorld experience and I hoping some one could help me out by defining the exactly what the Planner and Deployment Environments are used for.
As I understand it the planner environment is for loading Updates & SP's , what is DEP for? Where should Packages be built from?
Thanks in advance for your help.

DCD
Xe Update 3 SP17.1_F.1
AS400 w/Central Objects
W2K Deployment Server

DCD, for example today I used the planner environment to install an ESU
(this was my second ESU installation)and I built the update packages using
the Deployment environment. I am sure that the guru's on the list could
probably tell you if you can deploy using Planner but I would stick to the
basics as much as possible. I do however create packages on my own
workstation and do the builds and deployment from the deployment server.

Thanks,

Crawford

DCD

Enviroments=Pathcode + OCM's
The pathcode tells the system what directory the objects are in (spec's .dll etc) and the OCM' tell the system where your data is and where to process the logic. JDEPLAN and DEPB733 both use the PLANNER pathcode but the OCM's are different. JDEPLAN's OCM point to a local(access) database on the deployment server and DEP's OCM point to the database i.e. oracle, db2, sql etc usually on an enterprise server like an AS400 or HP9000. You are correct that the planner environment is used for upgrades. The DEP is usually used to built packages from. Hope this helps.

Patty

B733.1\SP7.1\Oracle 8.0.5\Ent HP-UX 11.0

Upgrading to XE\SP15.1\U3

Package can be assembled on the workstation but the build and deploy happens
from the dep7333 environment.

you need the JDEPLAN environment to "plan" something for OneWorld. This is the case when you apply an ESU or ASU, you will plan to update an environment/OneWorld.
After you have done this, you will deploy this updates, so you have to use the DEP7333 Deployment environment. This is the place where you (normallly) build and deploy your packages.
Any further questions?

AS/400 V5R1 OW Xe SP18_C1

Re: RE: DEP vs Planner Environment

Just to be clear on this one. JDE recommend performing Package build and deployment from your deployment server. However running package builds and deployment from a 'fat' client is also supported. I have been at a client site where the JDE helpdesk requested that two full packages be built (almost simultaneously). One was started on the deployment server and the other from a fat client.

Currently OneWorld B7332/Xe Windows NT SQL 7.0 Server 7.0/ Citrix XP (Experienced on all platforms)

Back