Item Master Approval

bryanclarke

Calling all Product Data Management gurus!

Has anyone implemented the JDEITMADD workflow delivered with OneWorld B7331 and later releases? Has anyone implemented a solution which allows an item master to be put into some "pending" status (i.e. not yet available for Purchase Ordering or Sales Ordering) until final sign-off by management authority? I'm aware of things like "Obsolete" stocking type, using Mandatory Pricing Adjustments in Sales, next status preferences in Sales, Flash Messages and so on. But I'd really like to understand what the JDEITMADD workflow is there to do. Anyone used it?

We aren't the workflow, but are investigating a method as well. We automatically receive new products in the Item Master from our legacy system "Global Item Master" Currently we only update the item master, so obviously until a branch record is placed you can't sell it. But I am investigating automating the branch record load as well.

I called JDE to see if they have similar functionality with stocking types as obsolete items, but they don't. I don't want to flag these items as obsolete, because that can mislead users to think the item was once saleable. And to replicate that functionality would mean modifications to order entry, etc.

I think the easiest method to implement in our case is to use a new line type that doesn't have order activity rules defined. The branch line type automatically populates with the new line type that users will recognize as not yet saleable. When the product has been reviewed, the line type is changed.

The only problem I see is that the message could still be a bit misleading when placing an order for this type of item. It will say that the status flow is not set up, which could confuse people, but in our case, we should never see that message otherwise so we tell them to look at the line type when they get that message. The other thing is that if they were "ambitious" they could override the line type in order entry, but I don't think that should be an issue.

I know it isn't the cleanest solution, but it's worked in testing.

If anyone else has any ideas, let me know.

Out of curiosity, how does the workflow method work exactly for the item master?

Lastly, I'll say what everyone else responding would say. It helps if you add your system configuration in your signature, so we can all see what version/servers/ etc your using, and that we know what to call you. Unless your name really is bryanclarke...

Justin Revoredo
Amersham Biosciences
Piscataway, NJ
OW B7332 Coexistence SP11.1
AS/400 Oracle
Citrix/Fat

Back