Setting Up Security

AdrianR

I appreciate that question that I am going to ask is very wide open but what is the general steps one would take when considering setting up security?
Are there any documents available that I can access? Finally as a novice to setting up security, are there any limitations to testing this on Demo Junior? Do I have to be in a client/server environment?

I'm in the process of acquiring some skills/knowledge in this area (prior to setting this up in CRP) but am concerned that I may be approaching this all in the wrong manner. This is for Xe

Many thanks in advance,

Adrian

Firstly, if you are on Xe, use the Solution explorer interface as setting up tasks and roles is much simpler than the traditional method. You still have to set up security as well, but I estimate that we got the whole thing done in a quarter of the time it would have taken using the old interface.
Secondly, rule of thumb, lock out everything to *PUBLIC, grant back what you need. (Don't forget to grant all to your CNC admin group first).
Thirdly, ALWAYS have 2 clients logged in. Do your changes on one and test it. IF you have completely locked yourself out so that noone can get in (yes it is possible to do!), use the 2nd client to undo the change.

HTH

Gordon

OneWorld Xe Sp16_018, W2k, SQL 2K on Compaq Proliant.

Hi Adrian

There is a product from QSoftware that provides the security for supporting Solution Explorer tasks. Essentially it's the Security matrix from a *Public *All lockout perspective.

Contact [email protected] for more details.

Kind regards
Terry

OW XE SP14.2 ES=AS400 V4R5, DS=NT4.0
Set up OW Security FAST. QSeries - For all your OW Security needs www.qsoftware.com/products/qseries/

Adrain,

You can go to jdelist.com, to the Downloads section, and there is a piece called "security settings by program and user groups spreadsheet", from me, that has the settings we use, by program and user group, for GL, AP, job cost, fixed assets, purchasing, inventory.

Dave Mallory Denver Water

Hi Adrian,

I have just finished implementing Security for Xe and I agree with Gordon’s reply regarding Tasks and Roles. As for the standard security, locking everything up is good but be really careful with the address book security. Our implementation teams have had lots of issues with having the other teams/groups seeing their specific information (HR, Payroll, Credit Collections, etc…).
To cut down on security implementation time, I have developed an MS Access application that allowed me to enter the security settings directly in the JDE database without having to deal with JDE. Essentially, all I did was to take the information from spreadsheets (modified versions of the one on the JDEList download area), import it in Access, have Access work the logic for me and export the information into the F00950 table in JDE. The tool I have created also allows me to merge already created groups together to create a new group “on the fly”. This was really useful as I was able to enter 73 different groups in about 5 hours and created another 18 consolidated groups in about 4 hours. I have used the tool for AS400 and for SQL2000 databases so far with the same results. (If there is interest for the tool, I can probably see if I can put a standardized version of it in the download area. The app is not perfect but it worked great for me.)
Last thing, if you are going to test security as part of CRP, my advice is to first get all users to test the system without security, and then once they are satisfied that their processes are the way they want, have them redo their testing but with security on this time. What we have allotted for time was for every 2 days of CRP, you should have 1 day of testing for security.

Hope this helped a little.

Jacques Bouchard

Xe, Upd 2, SP 17.1, W2K, SQL2K

I would really like to see a standardized version of your "security app"
uploaded to the JDEList website.

Thanks,
James

James A. Wilson
Technical - CNC

To: James A. Wilson@ANDERSEN WO
cc:
jbouchard@flint-ener Date: 01/29/2002 10:23 AM
gy.com Subject: Re: Setting Up Security
Sent by:
owner-support@jdelis
t.com
Message Mailed On Behalf Of ---> [email protected]

Please respond to jdeapps

Hi Adrian,

I have just finished implementing Security for Xe and I agree with Gordon's
reply regarding Tasks and Roles. As for the standard security, locking
everything up is good but be really careful with the address book security.
Our implementation teams have had lots of issues with having the other
teams/groups seeing their specific information (HR, Payroll, Credit
Collections, etc?).
To cut down on security implementation time, I have developed an MS Access
application that allowed me to enter the security settings directly in the
JDE database without having to deal with JDE. Essentially, all I did was to
take the information from spreadsheets (modified versions of the one on the
JDEList download area), import it in Access, have Access work the logic for
me and export the information into the F00950 table in JDE. The tool I
have created also allows me to merge already created groups together to
create a new group "on the fly". This was really useful as I was able to
enter 73 different groups in about 5 hours and created another 18
consolidated groups in about 4 hours. I have used the tool for AS400 and
for SQL2000 databases so far with the same results. (If there is interest
for the tool, I can probably see if I can put a standardized version of it
in the download area. The app is not perfect but it worked great for me.)
Last thing, if you are going to test security as part of CRP, my advice is
to first get all users to test the system without security, and then once
they are satisfied that their processes are the way they want, have them
redo their testing but with security on this time. What we have allotted
for time was for every 2 days of CRP, you should have 1 day of testing for
security.

Hope this helped a little.

Jacques Bouchard

Xe, Upd 2, SP 17.1, W2K, SQL2K
--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://www.jdelist.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat
=&Board=Apps&Number=27559
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World / Xe® and World mailing list / forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

Hello Jacques,

Thanks very much for the information given. It would be great if you could
supply a standardised version of the tools you have designed.

thanks again.

Adrian

Back