Larry_Jones

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
Here's some more ideas
-Larry
=======================

RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE'S TIME AND BANDWIDTH
-----------------------------------------
1. Do not post virus warnings, chain letters, jokes etc to the list/forum. In other words if it is not about OneWorld/World business, do not send it to the list.

2. Do not post "Yep I agree" or "Ditto Me too" posts, maybe add a little blurb in another post that you agree with that one.

3. Make an attempt to restrain yourself from answering EVERY post that comes through!

POST TO THE PROPER FORUM
------------------------
Would you take your broken computer to a television repairman? You're more like to get it fixed if you take it to a computer repairman, right? Similiarly if you expect to get help here post it to the right list/forum. OneWorld programming questions belong in the OneWorld Developers Forum - not the OneWorld/World Applications forum!

SIGNATURES
----------
If you expect people to help you, provide the information on your configuration that tells us your platform, OS Version, DB version, OW version, etc. The reasons why are obvious. Conversely if you are providing suggestions share the same since what worked on one version may not in another.
It is very provincial thinking to assume that everyone out there has the same configuration as you do. If you SIGN your posts, you help everyone.

Sign your posts like this:
Your Name
OneWorld/World B733.X, SP XX.XX
E.S. Platform, OS Version and SP Level, DB Product and Version

Example:
Joe Budnick, Waldorf Enterprises, U.S.A.
OneWorld B733.3 SP 18.1, Update 4
Win 2000 SP 1, SQL Server 2000 SP 2

KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AND MAKE SENSE
---------------------------------------------
1. Pay attention to the content of your writing. Be sure you know what
you're talking about--when you see yourself writing "it's my
understanding that" or "I believe it's the case," ask yourself whether
you really want to post this note before checking your facts.

2. Make sure your writing is clear and logical. It's perfectly possible to write a paragraph that contains no errors in grammar or spelling, but still makes no sense whatsoever.

3. Read ALL of your post before you send it. Read it from the viewpoint of your intended audience. It may make sense to you but will it make sense to them?

COMMON COURTESY
---------------
1. If you receive advice that helps you, be sure and thank those who provided the advice.

2. If you initiated a thread/issue please update it with your final resolution.

3. Don't start a new thread/issue by responding to an email or post that is completely unrelated to your issue. Just start a new one instead. This does not apply to threads that mutate - rather to totally unrelated issues.

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Hi Larry

Great to read your collation of netiquette rules. Is it your intention to collate as many guidelines as possible and post the final outcome in the FAQ section?

And once this forum's netiquette is established, will somebody become custodian of the rules and maybe even police them and send a friendly letter to repeat offenders? Or will the netiquette remain a plea to all users to adhere to common courtesy procedures?

Can I just add two comments:
1) The "official" language of the forum is English. And even though I fully realise not all members speak English equally well (I myself am a Dutch native speaker), I think we should stress that foreign language mails should be discouraged. I don't have a problem with the odd foreign salutation or parting comment, but users should be aware that not everybody appreciates little private conversations in public mails.

2) My personal "bugbear" is the usage of aliases. Once again I don't mind using (innovative(?)) alias names, but I would like to see at least a salutation name included in each user's profile.

Anyway, good luck with your quest and keep up the good work

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Hi Larry, Sef and JDEList,

First, Larry, great work! I didn't supposed that you will publish these parts so fast. Thanks a lot!

Sef, I totaly agree with you. Before I read your post, I wanted to post almost the same thoughts, mainly the salutation name issue. I like to start all post / reply with a salutation (and hate to omit it) and I do not like to do it as "Hi qweryt123,". Further many times, we refer to other's post, reply and this time I also like to use the salutation name of writer of the refered post. There is only one exeption, when we provide the other with search samples, making possible to locate post fast and accuratly in the archive.

Larry, here are some further thoughts from me:

English language issues:
========================
1.) Respect, that English (American) language is not the native language of all participiant.

*** Phrase your post as simply as possible. This will encourage the others to take part in the conversation making possible to understand clearly the post. Do not forget, many times that peoples can be valuable experts. Do it also, when you reply a post. On the otherhand, do not discourage non-English speakers to post their own issues onto the JDEList. Non-English peoples and beginners (not expert) are also very welcome to the JDEList.

*** Do not use Americanism or special English when it isn't necessary. This make JDEList as a Private Club for English speakers. Of course, this is not so strict guidance. Many times a bit of proper humor is in place.

*** Try to omit abbreviations like BTW, IMHO, w/in, FWIW, etc. They are mistery for the non-English speakers. Of course, this do not concern to the trivial World, OneWorld abbreviations like APPL, UBE, BSFN, etc.

*** Excuse the other non-English speaker' grammar mistakes. Suppose, they would like to use English languag as correctly as possible.
(/w3timages/icons/blush.gifPRIVATE NOTE: I have already a private English tutor from the List and I appreciate this helps very-very much /w3timages/icons/king.gif)

2.) Identify the replied post

*** Provide some information about the replied post in your reply, making possible to identify the replied post. Not everybody use the Forum, where you can identify it in the tree structure of the thread. On the other hand, replies have been sent via e-mail will not appear under the replied post but under the original post, so the identification could be problem on the Forum too.

3.) Privacy

*** Do not post your issue the other's private address. Larry, would you please expound why not and what are the advantages to post onto the JDEList instead of privately?

*** Reply on the JDEList instead of privately, sharing your help and knowledge with others too. It will be always appreciated.

4.) Help to search the archives of JDEList

We refer many times posts, replies in JDEList Archives. If you do that and have a bit of time to give more help to the other, then provide your post with some search sample information, making easier to locate faster and accurately the refered posts, threads.
Would be highly appreciated if you try to locate them previously and Copy/Paste these identification informations (Forum, Sender, Subject, Date/Time) into your reply.

Sef asked:

"will somebody become custodian of the rules and maybe even police them and send a friendly letter to repeat offenders?"

I think, this can be a job of our great volunteer Moderators.
I know, if you listen JDEList only on the Forum then the e-mail address for the reply many times not available. My suggestion for this problem is to make mandatory to fill the e-mail address with a valid address in the User Profile.

At last but not least, I would like to thank the work and contributions of our Administrators, Moderators, Tips & Traps Editor and Netiquett Editor!

Regards,

Zoltán

P.S.1: Generally I am also cranky untill I haven't got my coffee yet /w3timages/icons/tonguea.gif
P.S.2: Larry! The paragraph:
"3. Make an attempt to restrain yourself from answering EVERY post that comes through!"
was addressed to me? /w3timages/icons/blush.gif

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Larry,

Thank's a lot for all your valuable post/w3timages/icons/king.gif. I've read them all and I think it's 'just logic'/w3timages/icons/cool.gif but as we see on the list it's not true for everybody./w3timages/icons/sick.gif

Larry since nobody is officialy working on the netiquette, do you mind to put all this together into one document and then we may attach this to the JDEList Guidelines and/or into the new user message (when they register).

We can ask the other to add there own stuff, but I think you have it all in the post since two days. I can't even find someting to add, all the thing that I want are already there.

Tell me if you are interested to "Put it All Together"/w3timages/icons/cool.gif and I will then make sure it follow the path.

Christian/w3timages/icons/wink.gif

*** SHARED KNOWLEDGE = BETTER KNOWLEDGE ***

Implementing B7333 (Xe) SP16.1, SQL
(Support B732, B7331 and B7332)

Christian,

I will put it together - incorporating suggestions received to date.

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6

Zoltán,

I like your additions.

Most of this material is not mine - I just copied from stuff I found out there.

The statement "3. Make an attempt to restrain yourself from answering EVERY post that comes through!"
is one of those things that was copied - it was NOT a reference to you (I do wonder where you get the time though ... you must live with your computer /w3timages/icons/wink.gif)

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6

Hi Larry

Just one more thing you may wish to add to the Netiquette list:

Can all users who are setting up 'Out of office' assistances please please add a rule, so we don't get all these 'out of office' messages from all over the world every time we post to the forums.

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Thank you Larry/w3timages/icons/king.gif,

It's no rush, whenever you are ready.

I appreciated it !/w3timages/icons/smile.gif

Christian

*** SHARED KNOWLEDGE = BETTER KNOWLEDGE ***

Implementing B7333 (Xe) SP16.1, SQL
(Support B732, B7331 and B7332)

Hi Sef, Larry and JDEList,

Sef, great addition about "out of office"!
You can imagine, how many "out of office" message do I receive day to day /w3timages/icons/sick.gif

My suggestion is:

1.) Include a rule into the Netiquette that "Set up your mailing system properly that do not send automatical messages to the list and/or to the listers" /w3timages/icons/dragon.gif and refer to an Appendix which containes guidance, how to setup properly the different mailing systems.

2.) Hopefully our Administrators, Moderators or Editors will recruit volunteer contributors, one to collect and put to geather the guides for different mailing system, more to construct these guides.
This guide could be an Apendix of Netiquette or a separate documention.

... any oppinion?

Regards,

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back