Language Flags

David Robertson

David Robertson

Reputable Poster
hmm.. not sure who to address this to...
Hi Zoltán, as I know you check this forum /w3timages/icons/smile.gif

I know that the little flags are meant to represent the language of the member, and I know that subject has already been deeply discussed in the past.
My question/suggestion is for something similar to tell us WHERE the person is. Particulary with english speaking people all getting a US flag, but pretty much covering all corners of the world, I think it would be useful and interesting to know easily what area of the world they are from.
Mine particulary always takes some time to explain (Australian, speaking english, in europe somehere (UK, Belgium, Netherland, France...))

Also, many people have set english as the language, but are actually from even more exotic countries (like Canada /w3timages/icons/cool.gif)

I presume the language setting is useful to the members, even though the forums are primarily written in english. But also because they are primarily in english, the graphical information that is displayed would be more useful displaying a country of origin, rather than their language setting.

The forum approachs it's maximum effectiveness when we all communicate in a common language. This is unfortunate, but a reality. I am glad, and relieved that it is in english, as I'm in awe of people like Zoltán, who contribute so well in a language not their mother tongue.

Anyway, I'm not really meaning to start the whole argument again, it's just that I find I am often curious as to where these people I'm discussing problems with actually are. At least in a broad geographical sense.

Regards,
David

Hi Eric,
Hello David,
Hi Zoltán,

I do support your suggestion; Zoltán raised a similar issue, and I'd like to expand them just a bit /w3timages/icons/laugh.gif
Personally I'd prefer the Tag-HTML table to:
a - include the flags (there is a LOT of available space between the left-handed Subject/Icon and the right one, where the Tags are, especially when using 1028 resolution and above)
b - be accessible in ALL Reply to forms (not only in General).
That would enable me to insert, (wherever I feel the need to do so):
1 - country of origin, 2 - country of residence, 3 - country where we service our JDE customers, . . and the list stays open /w3timages/icons/wink.gif
Warm regards,
the Romanian-Canadian-Listidian

B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
Xe U3 SP17, Oracle 8i
FormScape 2.1
RS/6000, Citrix

Hi David, Adrian, Eric and Everybody on the Forum,

I also support David's suggestion. As Adrian have mentioned, I also opened a similar issue in the past.

I turned on the Hungarian Language in my personal settings just only for our Hungarian flag, although I would prefer to use the Forum in English.

Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi David,

You must be my antithesis. I am a Dutchman, living in Australia who is looking to go to Belgium or UK. /w3timages/icons/crazy.gif
I am also not sure what flags would represent me (although the answer is easy as there is no Dutch flag to choose from /w3timages/icons/wink.gif)

Anyway, to spice up the forum, it would be nice to see a little flag representing the country where the post is made from. It would also give an excellent demographic overview of where the questions (and solutions) orginate from. In addition maybe we should make it compulsary at registering to provide some more details than just a name or alias. Country and salutation name would be a good start. I hate answering e-mails to a non specific alias. I don't mind if people wish to log on by some generic name, but please also leave a name we can call you by/w3timages/icons/clown.gif).

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Hi David,

I didn't know that Canada was exotic ! /w3timages/icons/smile.gif

I also agree with your point, if it's possible to have contry flag to mean contry of residence or native contry. I'm actualy using the American flag to mean english, but we can agree that english is everywhere /w3timages/icons/blush.gif.

Contry flag are good, but they don't talk about "speaking language" !

So I put my name on this list since :
- I am Canadian;
- I am French native speaker;
- I work 50% in french and 50% in English;
- I'm using the american flag on the list because that's my only choice to have the interface in english.

Christian Audet

Implementing B7333 (Xe) SP14.1, SQL
(Support B732, B7331 and B7332)

Where would the flag be located? In the user profile and, or in the sidebar of the message or somewhere else?

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Eric,

Thank's for your quick reply. /w3timages/icons/smile.gif

From my point of view I think it should be something in the user profile, but visible to other user on every post.

My sugestion bring me a question Eric: "what will be the effect on the forum performance if it's visible on every post?"

Christian Audet

Implementing B7333 (Xe) SP14.1, SQL
(Support B732, B7331 and B7332)

Hi,

Obviously, we would maintain it as part of our profiles.

I think it should be visible in all the posts somewhere. It's nice to have a (virtual) idea who your talking. For example, anyone who's even lurked in the board for a while will instantly recognise Zoltan, because he is everywhere /w3timages/icons/smile.gif, and a fairly unusual (and cool/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif) name (at least to me it is).

For those of us not so prolific in our use of the board, I think some indications of country of origin, current country, language spoken, and the persons name all help to create a mental picture of the person which is easier to recall at later times.

There are many people who value their complete privacy for various reasons, so I would object to making the values in the user profile compulsory, although I would encourage the use of them.

Regards,
Dave

Independant Technical Consultant
CNC and Development
Currently in Europe on B732sp16 RS6000 Oracle

Hi Christian,

Ahh well, exotic depends on your perspective doesn't it /w3timages/icons/smile.gif. To me, I have several friends in Canada, and it's one country I would love to visit, but never have as yet. So to me it's sort of exotic.

Similarly:
- I am Australian;
- I (occasionally) live in the UK;
- I am working in Belgium, although that varies pretty often;
- I am an English native speaker;
- I work 99% in English, but I have attempted to work in other languages (Japanese, French, Swedish, Dutch);
- My wife is a French native speaker (so I should be able to say something, but can't much);
- I'm using the american flag on the list because that's my only choice to have the interface in english;

David

Independant Technical Consultant
CNC and Development
Currently in Europe on B732sp16 RS6000 Oracle

Eric,

Thanks for the answer. /w3timages/icons/cool.gif
My suggestion are after David's and Christian's answer:

1.) Of course, we can set it in our user profile.
2.) Display it at least in the public part of the user profile.
3.) Would be prefered to display on the Who's Online panel.
4.) Would be great to see it beside every post.

Of course, as Christian already mentioned only if it doesn't cause too much performance disadvantage.

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

It would be nice to have the flag in the signature & profile.
Thanks,
Adrian

B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
Xe U3 SP17, Oracle 8i
FormScape 2.1
RS/6000, Citrix

Back