Recompressing Parent Package

BrentHusband

BrentHusband

All,

If I delete a package from the deployment server (using native OWXe tools) and then perform a new parent package compression, will this deleted package then be removed from the parent package by the compression process ?

What would happen if I then create/build a new package using the same name ? Would parent package compression then include the new package ?

I have not been successful in finding these details on the Knowledge Garden.

NOTE: I am using the procedure de[censored]d in the JDE document titled "Recompressing the Parent Package to Include Update Information" posted June 2001 to the Knowledge Garden.

Thanks in advance,

Brent Husband
OWXe SP13, ES=AS400 V4R5, DS=NT 4.0 SP6.0a

Hi Brent,

Although what you are asking would seem logical on the surface, update packages and recompression does not work this way.

Recompressing the parent package updates the package's CAB files with the current state of the package -- spec, bin32, source, etc. This has the effect of including all changes to the parent since the last build/recompress.

Other than the package build history (which is for human use) the system does not keep track of updates to the parent package. An update parent merges its changes into the parent. These changes are not logged and can therefore not be reversed.

Regards,

Justin Miller
[email protected]

working with B7332 and XE on AS/400, NT, Solaris and AIX

I guess you are talking about an update package. I don't think it will because all the specs,.h, .c, dll, obj files have been moved into the parent package folder. The compression process takes whatever is in the folders and builds the .CAB files. You would somehow have to revert back to your old files using OMW or restoring.

A new full or partial or update package would build new folder structures on your deployment server. If you use the same name, answer yes to clear the folders when you do the build. An update package is always tied to a parent. If you have a existing clients with Full Package A and you then create and Update Package A, for those clients to get the update, you deploy Update Package A. If you you are loading a NEW client PC, to get all the updates you need to recompress and then install the Full Client Package A.

If you did the compression, yes, the new parent would now include the new update package.

OWXe SP16.1, ES=AS400 V4R5, DS=NT 4.0 SP6.0a, JAS16.1 AS400

,gm

All,

If I delete a package from the deployment server (using native OWXe tools) and then perform a new parent package compression, will this deleted package then be removed from the parent package by the compression process ?

What would happen if I then create/build a new package using the same name ? Would parent package compression then include the new package ?

I have not been successful in finding these details on the Knowledge Garden.

NOTE: I am using the procedure de[censored]d in the JDE document titled "Recompressing the Parent Package to Include Update Information" posted June 2001 to the Knowledge Garden.

Thanks in advance,

Brent Husband
OWXe SP13, ES=AS400 V4R5, DS=NT 4.0 SP6.0a

--------------------------

AS400 V4R5 Coexist CO-NT Xe SP16.1
Websphere 3.5.4 on AS400 JAS SP16.1

DO NOT DELETE the parent package before re-compression. Just follow the directions in the white paper. Recompression re-creates the .CAB files (that are installed on workstations) compressing both the original parent package and all of the Updates that have occurred back into the parent package. Re-compression does not touch the enterprise server, it is only a device to update the files that are installed on a workstation during OW install.

As you perform Update package builds, the based-on directory on the deployment server is updated, but not the .CAB files that are used to install a OW on a workstation. The re-compression rebuilds the .CAB files from the updated directory on the deployment server.

Thanks for the information. I suspected as much, but wanted some confirmation.

What I am attempting to address is a situation where some packages were modified/rebuilt or deleted from DV7333 before the parent package (DV7333FA) was compressed. Clients built using that parent (full) package are of course not functioning correctly.

After re-building the missing packages, a full package build is being submitted. This seems to be the recommended, if not only, means of rectifying the problem.

Thanks,

Brent Husband

Back