Locking Down User Overides

TWalker

We are experiencing a very intermittent error while performing voucher entries using the P0411 application. The error message is:

[Invalid Overwrite or Read] The system may become unstable. Please debug the Application using Event Rule Debugger.
Application:p0411 Event:post Button Clicked

I checked knowledge Jungle (Garden) and found that this is a common issue. However, I noticed that all of the SARs were closed with no resolution. I called JDE and they confirmed that this is a known issue with User Overrides. They further stated that they have not been unable to duplicate or isolate the issue in-house, but that the tools group was aware if the issue and was working on it. I have the official response in an email if anyone is interested.

Normally I would just tell my end users not to use custom grids, but we found a side effect of clearing the message without rebooting the system. If you do not reboot the system, any voucher information entered from this system goes into the database as corrupted data. It wasn't until we rebooted the system, that this issue went away.

Therefore I am looking for a way to lockdown User Overrides until JDE can fix this issue. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I've looked in security workbench but I cannot isolate a way to do it.

Tim
XE, SP16.1, Update1, Unix/Oracle

If nothing else, using row security you could lock the table F98950 to
make it read-only for all users. This would prevent any new overrides
from being saved/committed.

John

----------------------------------------------------------
OneWorld Xe (B733.3)
Update 2, SP 16
Oneoffs: SP16_011, _018, _019
Running on: NT4/SP6a, SQL7/SP3
Windows TS/Metaframe 1.8
----------------------------------------------------------

Xe, Update2, SP16
NT/SP6a, SQL7/SP3, WTS/Metaframe 1.8

I had the same issue, and the solution for us (at least for this error with
user overrides) was to:

1.- Uninstall OW
2.- Aply MDAC 2.6 SP1
3.- Reinstall OW.

Hope this helps

OW B73.3.2 SP 16.1 / NT 4.0 Sp 6a/ SQL 7.0 (XE and Win2000 soon)

Greetings.
S.E. Ricardo Paz Castanon
Systems Chief
Comercial de Herramientas S.a de C.v.
+52(8)369-35-35 ext. 286
[email protected]
www.cohesa.com

You don't say whether the problem affects one, some or all users intermittently.
We find that if one user has problems with an application but another doesn't have problems with the same application it can always be attributed to user overrides. The most likely time for this kind of problem to happen for us seems to be after a mod. of some kind to the app.
We believe that the information contained in the user override F98950 about the app. is out of step with the installed app.
We fix this by either asking the user to delete their format(s) for the app. or going into F98950 and deleting all entries for the user/app. combination. This always clears up the problem.
99.9% of the time we have no trouble with user overrides.

Tony St. Pierre
OW B7332 SP11.1 SQL7->2000

Thank you for the suggestions (everyone).

Tony
I did find some SARs that say the same thing. Our P0411 is a modified application for us. The latest version of the application was included in our last full package build. We have deleted all previously setup user overrides related to this application. However, since this a very intermittent problem, I am still going to lockdown user overrides to this application through row security. I am disabling any adds or updates to the F98950 where 'NameObject' = 'P0411'. Another list member suggested this. It allows the user to modify the grid for the current session only. The setting is lost once the user exits the application because nothing is written to the F98950. The users will just have to deal with it.

Thanks Again
Tim
XE, SP16.1, Update1, Unix/Oracle

I am having the same issue at my company and is also looking for a way to lock it down until JDE fixes it. I heard it was fixed in SP 17 the they created a one off because they realized that their fix did not work. Honestly I don't think it's fixed. If there is any way to lock this out please Respond.

HI,

Just letting you know we've had the same problems with the same app, plus others. We got rid of it by deleting all user over-rides from the system, because user overrides changed in the latest service packs and we didnt remove ours before installing the latest SP (which apparantly you needed to)... we were only on SP15, and tried going to 16.1... but we had too many issues so we're still on our nice safe SP 15 :) We cant afford to be guinea pigs.

Im thinking of lodging a SAR with JDE, I think I found an application that works, so I want an ESU to put a bug in it so its like all the rest :) :) j/k

-----------------------------
Jason Barber
Systems Administrator
--------------------
Xe, SP15, NT 4.0, SQL 7.0, Websphere 3.5, Update 2.

Thank you for the suggestion. I got the same comments from other List members. So far we have not experienced the problem since we deleted all pre-existing user overrides. However, we are still going to lock them down for the P0411 and P01012.

P.S. I love your last comment about OneWorld. Everyone here got a good laugh. That's been our experience as well. Make sure I get copied on that SAR and subsequent ESU.

Just remember, take a deep breath, and keep repeating to yourself... "I Love JDE... I Love JDE... JDE is my friend".

Back