Netfinity on vs off the AS400

soyer

Hello List,

Is there any advantage to having the Deployment Server installed in the AS400 (Netfinity card) as opposed to stand alone external server?

Thanks.

World user flirting with OW idea.

We have an AS/400 as enterprise server and NT deployment server. The server portion of full package builds takes 16 hours. I think a large part of this time is moving objects from deployment server to AS/400. So one of the advantages would be not having to move large blobs of data over a network.

Other advantages would be operations/save/restore/user setup...
Disadvantage would be using Operations Navigator instead of Windows Explorer to manage the objects. I don't have the experience with Netfinity. Many tasks like ESU updates and package builds are performed on the deployment server. I'm not sure how OneWorld would be launched onto the netfinity server. Probably a white paper on it.

I have had some clients with the card and some with external deployment servers. Of those using the Netfinity card the major complaints have been that often the speed of the card is not as fast external servers. This can be a major concern when it comes to doing package builds. I have one client who was using the NetFinity card and then switched to an external deployment server. He cut his full package builds down by about 4 hours.

One advantages of the Netfinity card is that it can simplify your backup strategy.

Independet CNC Consultant
B731, B732, B733, XE
AS400, Unix(all flavors), NT
Oracle, SQL Server

Cell # 801 557-8368

Don't get INS servers confused with the IFS file
structure. You use the INS just like a regular NT
server with really expensive hard disk space.
Advantage is really so far for us is the physical raid
and disk reliability from the 400 carried over to the
deployment server.

The BIG problem is it's scalability is really limited.
I also do not build packages on my deployment server
due to speed problems.
--- Jean_Driscoll <[email protected]> wrote:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=0&Board=OW&Number=23030
-+

=====
Dan Eppich
The Anschutz Corporation
B7332 Coexistant, V4R5 w/central objects
INS Card deployment server
SP16.1
Optio DCS 6.3.2
Fat and Citrix ICA Web Client

We are using the AS/400 INS also for the deployment server. We have only two small problems: first, it is currently backed up as one space, so it's hard to restore only one directory if needed. We are in the process of testing file-level backup to solve this problem.

Second, the full package builds take 12-14 hours per path code, and we have to schedule these carefully around the AS/400 backups. We are looking into implementing multi-threaded queues for package builds. We had not really considered running the package builds off the deployment server. Would you mind sharing what the setup and process is to do this?

Xe, SP 15.1, Update 2, ES=AS/400 V4R5, CO=AS/400, Deployment=AS/400 INS Card, Thick & Citrix Clients

Lessardj :

Building your packages off the Deployment is easy.
You need a OneWorld developer workstation, 256 Mb RAM recommended, C++ 6.0
and launch your
package from there.

Sebastian

The other problem with the INS card it it is very
difficult to scale later if needed. Plus cost of disk
goes way up.

The advantage is the adopted stability and physical
raid that the 400 has to offer.
--- mtrottier <[email protected]> wrote:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=0&Board=OW&Number=23034
-+

=====
Dan Eppich
The Anschutz Corporation
B7332 Coexistant, V4R5 w/central objects
INS Card deployment server
SP16.1
Optio DCS 6.3.2
Fat and Citrix ICA Web Client

Back