Per Unit Taxes

HenryP

Hey List, does anybody know of a way to apply unit taxes in Xe without having to rely on a hokey nonstock item strategy. When we went live with B7321, all we could do was set up per unit taxes (specifically environmental tire levies) as non stock items and add them to the orders in the appropriate quantities.

As you might guess, this is a cumbersome strategy to make work when order lines get backordered or otherwise reduced. Now that we are upgrading to Xe, I wonder if there is a better way.

Hi Henri

I think advanced pricing is your best bet. It is quite common to use advanced pricing to determine more complex tax calculations. Just give each adjustment its own GL Class and through AAI 4270 you can point the taxation credits wherever you like. As your tax is based on the qty of units, you will either need to use basis code 7 and define a formula or use basis code 5 and add an amount per unit.

This method however will post the tax at sales update time and not at post time and you will not get entries into the F0018.
Hope this helps,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Sef, thanks for the info.

I had thought of using advanced pricing for per unit taxes before but the thing that always stopped me in my tracks was the tax amount being recognized as revenue in the sales history file resulting in overstated sales dollars. This would happen regardless of whether I used a GL Class Code to point the tax dollars because AAIs only affect the GL (not sales history). Is there a way to set up an adjustment to show up on an invoice but not be written to sales history?

Hi Henry,

You stumped me there!
I cannot see an easy way to write a net UPRC to the F42119 (and F4229?) files.
You could maybe write an additional UBE which runs after sales update and recalculates UPRC net of tax (watch out for invoice re-prints! or potentially credit notes from history) or which writes the UPRC net of tax to a user reserved field eg URAT. You should also mark those records that have already been calculated eg by changing PID or adding a flag to URCD

You could also experiment with an Order level adjustment as this type of adjustment writes a separate line to F4211.

Again Good luck,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Back