Choosing a forum

Sef

Sef

VIP Member
I have been using the forum quite intensively for about 6 weeks now, mainly to try and help others with their queries, but also to pick up some handy tips and learn something along the way.

I know that there are a lot of "passive" readers out there that use the forum to just pick up some advice and tips.

Most of the users would have limited time to read and digest all these posts and I believe most users are also only interested in a small area.

For OW users there are two forums available. The forum for Developers seems to be used as intended, however I find the XE forum rather frustrating to review (especially now there are some problems with the appearance as de[censored]d in the last post to the general forum), as this forum contains a very wide variety of subjects AND often includes questions that really should be posted on the development forum.

Should we maybe have a third forum? The XE forum can be used for Application type questions and business processes. The Development forum can remain as is. And a third forum can be used for technical issues and hardware issues (read CNC).

And is there a way that we can "force" users to post to the correct forum? Maybe there should be a confirmation/choice of forum whenever a new post is submitted?

Any other comments out there on how to improve?

Other than that, keep up the good work "post masters" and keep those posts coming.

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Hi Sef,

first off I want to say I've appreciated your posts in the last month or so. They have been well written and helpful.

Regarding this subject, I don't believe there's any way to get some people to really care where they post their issues. Part of the problem is that some people just use the mailing list instead of the forum and as such only use one email address for JDE List.

Basically its like herding cats and adding a third forum won't help things in my opinion.

FWIW,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Hi Sef,
First thing first Welcome aboard!
I hope you enjoy the show as much as I do; and your frustrations will get away the moment your interests will be satisfied by the so many decent, helpful, and professional people this list has.
Some time ago there was a thread on, ... hum, trying to get some more Forums & a nice standard procedure in place, with the subject populated with release, object ID, ... but it did not work :)
Larry is right about that (trying to heard cats); currently I would prefer having ONE Forum only, since A LOT of experienced people are NOT using the specialized Forum, for a thousand reasons, hence, when I need some help I am forced to post my issue twice! Why? Because this site was not supposed to mix-in CNC with Business Cases & Development, and, on top of that, some anthropology & resume/job hunting posts ... and the circling never ends.
Warm regards,
Adrian, an old rule enforcer

LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806, FormScape 2.1
SANDBOX: Xe Update2 SP17, Oracle 8i
RS/6000, Citrix

Hi Sef,

First of all, you are welcome on the JDE Forums/Lists as well as a new "newbie" as a really active helper.
I also really appreciated your posts in the past few weeks and I'm sure that you won't be "newbie" for a long time /w3timages/icons/laugh.gif
I am really glad that a new, active and professional poster joined in the Forum who mainly posts answers, helps instead of questions. Thank you for your valuable contribution. (It does not mean do not open questions, issues /w3timages/icons/wink.gif. If you will do, really hope that you will receive as valuable and fast helps as you have given already many times.)

In reply to your post, I want to tell that I agree with the two old fellow, Larry /w3timages/icons/tonguea.gif and Adrian /w3timages/icons/cool.gif In my honest opinion, a third Forum/List won't be help the issues that you have decribed, although they are really issues on the Forum. You can see more posts, threads about these issues, mainly here, on the General board.

On the other hand, I would like to disagree /w3timages/icons/blush.gif with Adrian about using only one XE Forum.
Personally me, like to read everything on the XE Developers Forum but I select the posts /w3timages/icons/blush.gif to read based on the subject (or poster) on the other XE Forum.

Yes, knowing the feature, habit of the two XE Forums, sometimes I also make paralel posts on the two boards. Once because the topic could be answered on both and I am hoping a fast answer, once because I would like to share somthing FYI what could be useful for the readers of both Forums.

Keep your good work on the Forum.

Regards,
Zoltán

P.S.: Could somebody explain me what does it mean "herding cats" or "trying to heard cats" and "FWIW" (how do I like acronyms /w3timages/icons/crazy.gif)? Please, answer here only if you certain that this is a common issue/w3timages/icons/cool.gif, otherwise please, send me the explanation privately on the Forum or via e-mail. Thanks in advance! /TIA/w3timages/icons/cool.gif/

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi Zoltán!

Though I've not heard the phrase before, "herding cats" has a fairly obvious meaning in english, although "hearding cats" doesn't really make sense. Cats being nasty, indepenant, free spirited creatures, would be very difficult to herd, and would not obey the cow (cat) herder. A lot like our members of the list /w3timages/icons/laugh.gif

I presume FWIW means "For What It's Worth", although I had to think about it for a bit.

TTFN
(Ta ta for now)

Cheers,
Dave

Back