Basic concept

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there

I have a basic question about the concept and usage of the BI publisher specifically embeded one.

We recently upgraded to the JD Edwards 9.1.2 and i noticed that we have couple object in object respository for BIP and also i have applied the ESU14955 year end. so we up to date.

My questions are:

1. Is anything we need to install in the enterprise server to allow to BIP to work? As i believe nothing has installed during upgrade.

2. I just downloaded the BIP addson for word and i believe this is just for running report outside JD Edward and allow you to save the BIP rtf for uploading into JD Edwards repository?

I guess all we need now just to run report using the row exit and select BI publisher using BIP version of the object and we dont need to do any code in FDA for the object.

Please help!

AD

You will need to set up several minor things on your enterprise servers in order for the BI reports to process. Things like kernels, paths, etc. you should also look into switching to jrocket jvm due to a much needed performance improvement on large XML file rendering. All of this is on the support website and walks you through almost all of the settings required.

The Addons are used to create your own templates. After you learn the syntax, you will find them not required but still helpful.

You can also set the version detail to use the report definition. Then if you set up the definition to use blind execution, the user just submits the report like normal and it renders.

Takes a little bit to get used to it but it is not bad once you learn the ropes.

Thanks for your comments.

I found the youtube video and gone through, everything works perfectly fine which means i dont need to do anything for setup point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSwQJJivBE

Just wondering can JD Edwards support all the batch applications for BI Publisher which means all the batch applicaiton but create XML?
Also how if we would like to create some custom field for the calculation how we would achieve that in Word?

Thanks
AD

BI is just a template. For example, you can have calculated excel fields using the BI template fields to have runtime calcs done.

Thanks Sean

I did not know that we can use excel as well and use the BI addson, this will be great help to do custom changes on the calculation.

Last question:
if we have custom data set or views in sql server, we can not use that in BI publisher unless we use BI interactive. Is this correct?

Thanks
Ad

the BI addon is only used to help build the templates. the embedded BI can be used for custom or base reports. the full BI server license is not technically able to be used against any table, report, index, etc that has been touched. even that you can't prevent a user from doing so. but according to oracle, if a business user reads a tble through BI publisher (full server, not embedded jde version), then you need to pay up.

unless you set up a full BI standalone server, you dont need to worry about this. And since you were asking basic setup questions, i doubt you did. that install is not for the faint of heart. the embedded BI functionality in JDE is easy.

In my opinion, the BI publisher addon for excel is worthless. I just use Notepad++ to view the XML and copy/past the element names into the name fields. Once you get the hang of it, it is no big deal.

Hi Sean and others.

I saw couple pre-existing T4 forms, which is for Tax in canada. These BI template forms are PDF format and when i download them there is no xml attach to it. So i wonder how the Report defination will fill this PDF forms? please find attachment.
What i learned is that we need XML to attach in .rtf doucment and attach to the RD, which i did with other report and works fine but dont know what is the purpose of PDF.

Thanks

Attachments

• 185981-PRE-exists_pdf.PNG
    185981-PRE-exists_pdf.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 52
- create a template (TP55xxxxx) typically in PDF, RTF, or Excel format and upload it to the JDE repository
- create a report definition that says for report R55xxxx, use template TP55xxxxx.
- you choose the type of template and the types of output you desire. RTF template can go to many different output formats. Excel template can only have excel output.
- you can also set up the report version to use the report definition so that a user does not need to know to choose BI ouput

When you run the report, JDE produces the XML data and merges it into the template to give you the final output.

There is no XML to download from the template. The XML is the data.

Thanks Sean

You exactly right, the pdf pre-existing forms are there so we dont need to do anything.

I tried what you suggested and it create just blank pdf output.

But if i use the Bi publisher adds on and load the XML and create the template and attach to the RD as you suggested works fine as learned from this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSwQJJivBE

Looks like there are some setting we are missing to use the pre-existing templates.? which answer why it is blank.

Thanks
AD

you will need to check and make sure the report you are running is mapped to the correct template. sounds like it may be mapped to the blank template.

Report is calling the correct template You said previously that

1.create a template (TP55xxxxx) typically in PDF, RTF, or Excel format and upload it to the JDE repository.

I created the blank template .rtf and upload to the object repository and calling from RD as PDF. I just wanna confirm the template i created should be blank? or i need to upload XML prior to upload to the object repository.

Thanks

Hi Sean

I found from the document at see step 5 below:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24705_01/doc.91/e24217/understanding_bip.htm
2.3 JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Embedded BI Publisher Process OverviewCreating customized reports using the embedded BI Publisher involves these steps:

1.Use Oracle's BI Publisher Template Builder, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, or Adobe Acrobat to create a blank template file.

2.Add an object to the BI Publisher Object Repository (P95600), using the template name for the object name.

3.Create a report definition in the JD Edwards BI Publisher Report Definition application (P95620), associating the source batch application (UBE) and the template.

4.Submit the report definition to generate an XML data file.

5.Download the XML data and design the template in the desktop application that you used to create the template.

6.Update the report definition in the BI Publisher Report Definitions application, defining criteria such as output types, bursting, and delivery options.

7.Upload the completed template into BI Publisher Object Repository.

8.Submit the report definition to BI Publisher.

9.Use Report Definition Jobs (P95630) to access the submission details, view details of the output, view the output delivery, and view the output.

So i definately need to upload the XML to the BI template for T4. mystery is still there that the pre-existing template came with ESU has no XML information so it is useless, I have created the case the Oracle to explain how the existing T4 pdf template will fill without loading the XML.

Note: The new template i created and design with XML works fine.

Thanks
Ad

Sorry Sean

I looked the pre-existing T4 pdfs, it has all the XML fields map to it. I would salute to Oracle they have done all that work for us. All i need is to run T4 after setting the year end process and will ask my application team.

will keep you posted.

thanks
AD

Done. i am able to run the T4 using BI publisher,
For other readers, you just need to take out the R77410 defualt version from the print setup and attach the BI version in canadian workbench application

Back