Transformations

swathi

Hello!

Does anyone have an example of how the transformation in P95620 works?

Thanks
Swathi

Transformation will be applied to XML and then the modified XML will be fed to the Template.
Application of transformation
1) Modify grouping
2) Modify values
3) Add elements in group
etc

Hi All,

I have created an example transformation from a white paper for R0006P successfully. So as I understand it, the transformation is applied to the XML to create the modified XML (before it is fed to the Template - yes, yes, I did read the above post). When I go to Work with Server Jobs, I can see the final output and the original XML: Is there any way to capture/view the MODIFIED XML that is created? OR is there a way where the final report IS the modified XML? OR is there a tool outside of E1 that will take an XML created from a UBE and apply an XSL and create a resultant XML file?

Thanks In Advance,
Ben again,

Can you share that White paper? I tried applying transformation in RD but it failed somehow.
I will suggest going through existing transformations.
Check those transformations.

Check this.
Bug 13432357 : REPORT DEFINITION USING TRANSFORMATION FAILS

Hi Abhishek, I will attach the white paper, but you've probably already seen it. The success was due to downloading msxsl.exe and running that on an XML and XSL combination and finding that I had errors. Once I solved those errors and uploaded the known good XSL, the transformation worked like a charm. Ben again,

Attachments

• XSL with BI Publisher.pdf
    306.6 KB · Views: 52
is there a way where the final report IS the modified XML? OR is there a tool outside of E1 that will take an XML created from a UBE and apply an XSL and create a resultant XML file?

Thanks In Advance,
Ben again,

Yes there is...

My pointers are too late now because you've solved your issue. But for future reference, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (it's what I use; I don't know about earlier releases), the same tool we use to code C BSFNs, has built-in tools to parse, debug the XSL and produce the final result.

Open the XML and the XSL in MSVS. Select the XSL. There should be a XML option on the menu. It will have options to show the XSLT output and debugging the XSL.

Or if you want a visual mapper, use JDeveloper 10.1.3.4 or 10.1.3.5. The visual mapper is a godsend. Just drag and drop from source XSD to target XSD. Ingrates complain that the JDev visual mapper can't handle complex relationships. But it gives you a good starting point to roll up your sleeves and code the complex mappings. And it's FREE.

But that's the catch, you have to generate XSDs from your source and target XMLs. No worries though... MSVS will do them for you.

Another thing about JDev, the latest and greatest do not have the XML tools. Or probably I'm just not looking hard enough. Also, JDev 10.3.x is flaky if you install it in a box where it has to co-exist with JDev versions. The only way I've found so far to reliably run it without getting the dreaded "Mapping tool failure. XSL has errors. Fix the source" - that's not the exact wording, but that's the gist of it - is to run it from a VM where it is the only Java based tool installed.

BTW, the error message is generated for a perfectly good XSL - tested to run in MSVC and BIP. JDev just decided to go crazy. Probably why the tool is not in later releases - 11g upwards.

Thanks jileto,

These pointers will be great for future reference, I know I will use them to increase my knowledge.....

Ben again,

Back