Internet Explorer and Tools Release 9.1.0.5

janicej

Well Known Member
We're on 9.0 and just upgraded to TR 9.1.0.5. Just a few of my users are having problems with their IE browser. The tool bar where the red X, the find button, etc. is located doesn't respond. I can't find a common thread among the users. I've got them temporarily using Firefox, but would like to get all my users back on Internet Explorer. Has anyone seen a browser issue like this? Thanks in advance for any help.

It's a mixed bag. We have both XP and Windows 7 machines, so some people are running IE8 and some IE9.

IE7, 8 and 9 always have something. i think JDE should recommend firefox.
Looks like that your issue is related to Activex. Did you implement all the setting for IEs? for version 9.0.

Thanks

AD

Janice,

The Client MTR for TR 9.1 says under the heading "Web Client Internet Explorer Information":

[ QUOTE ]
To mitigate cookie collisions and / or shared session opportunities between two open IE8 browsers see Oracle Support Document ID 813004.1

[/ QUOTE ]

Could this be related to your users' problems?

That was an interesting article, but this happens with a single session before multiple applications can even be opened. Just to make sure, I tried running IE with the nomerge option and it didn't make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Try these settings for IE8 & IE9 and report back.

1. Close all browsers
2. Open IE explorer
3. Click Tools > Internet options
4. Browsing history > settings button
5. Select top radio button =93Every Time I visit the webpage=94 > OK
6. Click security tab > Reset all zones to default > Apply
7. Click Internet zone > Custom Level
8. Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls =3D Enable
9. Download unsigned ActiveX controls =3D Prompt
10. Automatic prompting for file downloads =3D Enable
11. Click OK button
12. Click Privacy tab > uncheck Turn on Pop-up Blocker
13. Make sure the Default button is grayed out > Apply
14. Click the advanced tab >click restore advanced settings > Apply > OK
15. Open Internet Explorer
16. Press the Alt key (Menu bar will appear)
17. Click Tools on the menu bar
18. Click Compatibility View settings
19. Uncheck Include update website list from Microsoft
20. Uncheck Display internet sites in Compatibility View
21. Check Display all websites in Compatibility View
(See below)
22. Click Close
23. Close Internet Explorer

If still having issues we run CCleaner and make sure they have restarted th eir computers recently.

Re: RE: Internet Explorer and Tools Release 9.1.0.5

Cody,
Thanks for the great list, but it didn't resolve my problem. I've also spent most of the day trying everthing I can think of. I'm using my own computer as a guinea pig, so my browser is looking ragged. Right now I'm leaning toward a Windows update or a lack of a Windows update.

I'd still be grateful for suggestions and I'll continue to research.

Adeel, we've been running 9.0 on both IE 8 and IE 9 for a while. With this upgrade, we changed iSeries box, OS version, Websphere version and Tools Release. So, I could be chasing any number of things.

Try starting IE with add-ons disabled:
"Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)." from
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-add-ons-frequently-asked-questions

Then try resetting IE:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

In one case, I was never able to localize which add-on de-stabalized the browser, but everything worked with add-ons disabled. I ended up resetting IE for the customer to start fresh.

Janice,

I was reluctant to publish the below since I don't know that they'll solve your issue, but here are scripted (VBS) registry setting we apply to each PC here - for what they're worth.

'Create the Security Zone 2 key
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, ""
'1001 - Download Signed ActiveX Controls and Plugins - enable
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\1001"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, 0, "REG_DWORD"
'1604 - Downloads - Font
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\1604"
'2200 - Downloads - Automatic Prompting
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\2200"
'1803 - Downloads - File Download
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\1803"
'1809 - Popup Blocker - disable
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\1809"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, 3, "REG_DWORD"
'2102 - Allow Script initiated windows without size or position constraints: Causes Application Titles to appear on Task bar buttons
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\2102"

'Create the Security Zone 3 key
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3"

' Increase the Max Connections Per Server
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, 10, "REG_DWORD"

RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, 10, "REG_DWORD"

If OSystem < 6.0 Then
' Here is a "problem cleanup" registry fix for machines that at onetime had IE6 installed. You probably should include it also.
RegLocate = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\1.1\0\win32"

RegLocate = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\1.1\0\win32\@"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, sWinDir & "\system32\ieframe.dll"
End If

' Disable IE8 runfirst
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\DisableFirstRunCustomize"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, 1, "REG_DWORD"

'Set KeepAliveTimeout value for IE and JDE
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\KeepAliveTimeout"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, 7500000, "REG_DWORD"

Thanks for the replies! I'll give these suggestions a try and report back.

Running without add-ons didn't make a difference. I suspected those early on and tried disabling the ones that run without permission related to MSXML. I haven't had any success, though.

Larry, I already had all of these settings except for the last few that I haven't tried yet. I don't have access to my machine right now. Your suggestions made me wonder if this issue was related to certain users. I signed onto my workstation as Admin and had no problems with my IE browser. Admitting I don't know as much about computers as I should, does that mean it's a registry setting under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

I got my browser working and now I'm working on the others that had problems. I wish I knew exactly what had done the trick. I ended up downloading any update I could find on Microsoft's website that pertained to my version of IE and OS. Then I enabled the Java Plug-In in the add-ons and the browser started working fine. Many thanks to people who offered suggestions.

Back