Call VBScript from a E1 UBE

eagleralph

I want to call a VBScript located on the E1 application server from a UBE. Can this be done using B34A1030 (Call External Program)?

No.

Well . . . let me restate with a question.

When I read "Application Server" I think HTML server since that's where Apps run. UBEs run on Enterprise/Batch servers.
Which were you referring to?

So, assuming it's going to execute on a Enterprise/Batch Server do you understand that processing will be asynchronous?

Jajajaja, you right Larry, but habitually many people called E1 App. Server to the E1 Logic/Batch Server, but anyway it's in our teaching the correct way, step by step, one a one.

eagleralph; I never used JDE with external script (I believe) but according to Oracle Doc (JD Edwards EnterpriseOne COM Interoperability) is possible do that you want, please enter to the link and Tell us your experience.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17984_01/doc.898/e14696/com_interop.htm

Thanks to both you and Larry.
smile.gif
By application server I mean the logic server where the business functions run. Over the years, and depending upon who you are speaking with, this server has has been called various and asundry names one of which is the application server. In any case if you run B34A1030 on the iSeries and call a CL program it will work. If you call a DOS command it will fail. If you run B34A1030 on a PC (i.e. Windows) and run a DOS command it will work. I have a issue where the the entire environment is Windows. So, when the UBE runs it and calls B34A1030 it is in a Windows environment. So if I call a VBScript that is on the same server where where Table Conversion programs look for flat files will the UBE be able to see the VBScript. Or, in other words, do E1 business functions run on the same server that E1 uses as a default to look for flat files that are input to Table Conversion programs.

Thank both of you very much for your help.

EagleRalph,

Where UBE's and Business Functions run depends on the OCM mapping. It may depend also on the UBE properties and whether or not where the UBE runs is overridden when when submitting the UBE.

If your system only has one enterprise/application server and the UBE and Business Function OCM mapping is to the default and there are no overrides in the UBE properties or when submitting the UBE then both the UBE and the Business Function will run on the enterprise/application server. Under the circumstances just described, if the UBE is a Table Conversion, then by default it will look in the import directory in the pathcode directory in the install directory on the enterprise/application server.

In sumary, if all mappings are default, with no overrides, on a single enterprise/application server system, yes, E1 business functions run on the same server that E1 uses as a default to look for flat files that are input to Table Conversion programs.

Great answer Peter.

I created a UBE and added a processing option where the desired script could be called. The processing option is passed in to B34A1030 (Call External Program) as the command to call. I entered cscript.exe FTPPUT.vbs as the command to call and it works perfect.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this post.
smile.gif

EagleRalph,

I would be very careful about using processing options to pass in a command to be executed. Anything can be put into the processing option and thus run on the server. <font color="red">The results of a malicious processing option entry could be devestating!</font>

My advice is that <font color="red">processing options should never be used to retrieve commands to be run using the Execute External Program business function!</font>

Back