Slow Menu Navigation in JDE E1 v9.1

Evelyn

We have upgraded to v9.1 in our dev environment and are finding that navigation in the menu is slow and choppy. A user clicks on a menu item and it might take 3-4 seconds for the next level to open. We also notice that as the mouse scrolls over menu items to get to its destination the menu item becomes highlighted, so there are two menu items at the same level that are highlighted. It creates the general feeling of slow web responsiveness and refresh rate and I know the end users will not be satisfied. Anyone else have this experience and have tips for how they resolved it?

Hi,

I'm not in ERP 9, but in Xe i already met issues of slow menu navigation. Another symptom was slowness when adding values in UDC.
Analysis on a fat client revealed that what was taking time were not accesses to menus or udc tables but accesses to omw header log table F98210.
The solutions we used were to update oracle statistics on omw tables, and to purge these omw tables with the standard ube R98210B.

Not sure it can apply to ERP 9 …

Cheers,

We noticed this performance problem after starting to test 9.1. I have not found a "solution" to the problem but I have tried a couple of workarounds:

1. Tweaked JAS menu cache settings - improved performance slightly.
2. Turned on breadcrumbs - did not improve performance but improved acceptability
3. Split Up Task Views - Out of 1 monolithic task view we created 5 task views (Finance, Supply Chain, etc.). This was never fully tested for performance.

Long story short, I am in the same boat you are in. Its still slow but with breadcrumbs the users are accepting of it.

Its interesting that you've encountered this. What platform are you running on ? Weblogic or Websphere - and what platform is the J2EE server running on ?

What Java Engine are you using for the JAS Server?

What Tools Release are you on - though it sounds as if you're running above 9.1.0.4 since you have breadcrumbs.

What database is E1 using ?

Sorry to ask all the above - but it seems that theres a lot of difference between the slightest change on any of the above !

Personally, I'm running Weblogic 10.3.6 on JRockit 1.6.0_31-b05 on Windows 2008R2 x64 with Tools Release 9.1.2.1 (though just upgraded from 9.1.0.3). Currently, I have no issue with moving through menus - and I am using Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 16.0.2 and Google Chrome 22.0.1229.94 to test. I do have ActiveX turned off on the webservers however.

It might be important to check the Task View Tables to ensure that all the indexes are correctly present. Also, depending on the database, you should probably look into rebuilding statistics to improve performance. Perhaps its possible to look at the database side on the F9000, F9001 (and F9002 if you have languages installed) tables. There should be 9 indices on F9000 and 9 on F9001...perhaps you should consider rebuilding the indexes to see if that helps ?

Not a lot of detail given here.

When you say Dev environment ... are you referring to running apps off the Weblogic server DV900 instance? or the developer's local web instance? What's your backend server and database?

When posting to a forum its smart to always include these details as frequently they may have a bearing on the problem / solution.

Its iSeries / WS 7.0.

I had all indeces. I don't think that indeces are the problem because I have good performance with 8.98.44 TR SE with the same SE config.

I think they restructured the menu code for 9.1. I noticed that there is a lot more javascript brought down compared to 8.98.44.

It seems apparent (to me anyway) that Oracle introduced breadcrumbs as an acknowledgement to a problem.

My questions for you are:
1. how many people do you have on your 9.1.04 instance?
2. do you run menu security? if so, how many F9005 & F9006 rows do you have?
3. how many rows do you have in F9000 and F9001? and F9002? I have ~24500 and ~21500 respectively. We run several languages but there are no rows in F9002.

1. right now, we're running 9.1.2.1 - no more than 200 users currently
2. No. Our plan is to use menu security as little as possible. I prefer to use Pages for as many users as possible.
3. 19127 in F9000 and 16506 in F9001

I think they understood there was an issue with the menu's introduced in TR9.1 - moving from the old menu's along the left side and putting them at the top. Breadcrumbs help users with the navigation. Not sure they were specifically trying to help with a performance issue.

You might have an issue with the menu security if you have a large number - I could see that being an issue since its constantly querying those in real time. Again, you should probably look at the SQL on the back end and see if you can improve any indices on those tables if the select statements are slow ?

Secondly, I don't know if this might help - but try creating some entries for the F900* tables in F98613 to see if that helps performance. Sometimes, old school tricks can work !

My sense then is that the difference is our SE menus use menu security. I didn't have anything to do with the menu security and I would have discouraged it if asked. I have not tested this but it could be that this is what is slowing it down.

Perhaps Evelyn could chime in with her SE configuration.

Perhaps temporarily removing menu security in an environment and testing without the menu security will identify if its the issue or not ?

Here is our backend information:

DV environment information
Web Server (JDEWEBT) Virtual
• JRockit: 1.6.0_14
• Java version: 6.1

Application Server (JDELOGICT) Virtual
• Application Server: OAS using WebLogic 11g
o WebLogic Version: 10.3.5.0
• MS Visual Server: 10.0
• Java: 6.1

Database Server (JDESQL) Hardware
• SQL Server Version: 10.50.4000

Deployment Server (JDEPLOY) Virtual
• Java: 6.1

Application information
• Application Version: 9.1.0.3
• Tools Release: 9.1.2.1 (Upgraded from 9.1.0.4)
• Internet Explorer: 9
• Vertex Version: 3.01
• Transform (to-be): 4.3

Evelyn,

How many rows do you have in these tables:
F9000
F9001
F9002
F9005
F9005D
F9006
F9006D

W'e're on SQL Server 2008 and when people talk about "rebuilding statistics" do you simply mean using the standard function sp_updatestats or is there a better method???

USE JDE_PRODUCTION ; EXEC sp_updatestats ;

Back