BI Publisher kernal is not environmnet aware in E1

Scott Beebe

Reputable Poster
Does anyone else think it is silly that the BI Publisher kernal is not environment aware? Did you know that if you don't have E1 set up in a multi foundation architecture that you need to push your BIP templates to PD to verify they work on the server? Since there is only one BIP kernal it can only use the templates for the environment it is pointing to. After go-live it is only pointed to PD.

Most of my clients are not multi foundation. Am I missing something or are there others that feel the same way. Tell me what you think, please.

We're multi-environment so doesn't affect us
smile.gif

Scott,
BI Pub has been multi-environment aware since 8.98.3.0. Perhaps you are still on an older release?

Interesting.

However as most BIP jobs are just eating the xml fed to it, it doesn't really matter about the database environment, right?

The problem exists for single foundation systems on tools release 8.98.4.xx through tools 9.1. The environment does matter because the BIP templates utilized by the BIP kernal are environment specific in the same way as other object specs.

The request to make the BIP Kernal environment aware that I made through the Quest Tech Sig at Collaborate was REJECTED.
frown.gif
This tells me that Oracle has no intentions of fixing the issue.

Scott, it was fixed in 8.98.3.0.

See document ID 651280.1 -- particularly the note which reads:

"As of Tools Release 8.98.3.0, this limitation is now fixed by bug 10972968 "ISSUE WITH XMLP KERNEL INIT". With this fix the XML Publisher Kernel will be able to read the OCM mappings for the F95600, F95610, and F95611 tables based on the environment where the report is submitted. To obtain this enhancement, please apply Tools Release 8.98.3.0 or higher. Make sure that OCM mappings are set up correctly as per the re-issued bug 10926716 Special Instructions."

So, in addition to being on that release, the special instructions must be re-applied. It works.

Back