Printer setup question

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
We have created an output pdf in E1. We have defined a default printer for user for this UBE. When the user runs the report, it goes to the correct printer. If user open the PDF using"work with submitted job" application , pdf looks good and he can printer to the same printer from within pdf application
However, if the user simply click "print" in "work with submitted job, the output goes to the printer but it comes out as garbled. I have defined the printer on the appserver ( host machine) . what am I missing here I think E1 host server ( app server) does not have the driver. But I have defined the printer on the server. Does it needs to be default printer on the server
This is in 9.1 with wintel platform

Jaise,

From your earlier post I could gather that you are using BI Publisher for your JDE PDFs. If this UBE which you are trying to print from JDE uses BIP then the printer defined should be using Post Script. I would suggest you to check ...
(a) The printer definition language in JDE. Is it defined as *JDE PS?
(b) The printer driver for the printer on the app server or whereever you have installed it. Again it should be a post script driver.

Note that when you open the job from WSJ and then print ... it is not printing through JDE rather it is using the Adobe engine for printing. (something very different from printing from JDE) It does not matter if the printer is Post Script or PCL in this case.
Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for the information. That what Oracle also just confirmed. I tired the PCL and it worked, but it does nto print Custom fonts etc, which is required for check printing. Unfortunately, if I use *JDE PS, I would need to make sure the printer support PostScript Level 3 and Direct PDF (v1.4). , If not, it will not work. Apparently we need to even upgrade our printers with this upgrade.(LOL)... Let me see if this is some kind of driver that can be installed on the printer

Yep ... you may need those Post script chips to be installed on those printers. And mind you those are expensive ..so good luck convincing your business (LOL) ;-)

I found out today, on one of our Oracle tickets, the MTR will change with tools 9.1.3. Only Postscript 3 will be required, not Direct PDF printing.

Just as I finished developing a solution for this issue ;-)

Well, there must still be Canons and Epsons around with no PS3...

Back