SQL Standard or Enterprise

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there

We know that 2012 is not supported yet with JD Edwards 9.1 I just wondering what is the difference between Standard and Enterprise version for 2008 R2 as JDE prospective.

Thanks

Just my perspective from working with Oracle for over 20 years... They will be dropping SQLServer support in the future.

We've been using the EE with little issues for years.

From a JDE perspective there are really only a few things to consider:

1. Cost
2. Advanced Performance Options
3. Advanced Management Options

1. Cost - Obviously Enterprise is mush more
2. Performance - really we're talking about database compression which is only available in the Enterprise Edition but can significantly reduce I/O
3. Management - Enterprsie Edition has some advanced snapshot capabilities

Also wanted to counter a previous option posted by someone here.........Oracle (JDE) WILL NOT be dropping SQL Server Support. There are 1000's of customers running on SQL Server for some very obvious reasons. Our company has done 70+ net new installs with the bulk on SQL Server. JDE is committed to an open platform.

Check the road map which has 6 years of versions planned (that's all they can state at any given time) plus add 8 years of support to that.

That's 14 years and most of us don't keep car's that long.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
Just my perspective from working with Oracle for over 20 years... They will be dropping SQLServer support in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally incorrect. Oracle would be really shooting themselves in the foot by dropping either DB2/400 or SQL Server customers. There are 1000's of customers that are smaller and who find that SQL Server works great - let alone the number of CNC consultants that only work with SQL and don't know Oracle or DB2.

Frank - thats a lot of scaremongering you're creating - and unless you have documented information to back up that claim, you'll be wise to retract that kind of opinion. Oracle has your picture now at least !

I know for a fact that Oracle has a good roadmap for SQL Server support based on my contacts at Oracle. It might be that their support for the latest MS products take a few months beyond release to "certify" - but rest assured, they're eager to ensure that customers are happy. After all, they're VERY happy selling weblogic servers to Microsoft SQL Server customers...

There are plenty more SQL and DB2 customers than there are Oracle DB customers out there....though the Oracle DB marketshare _is_ rising.

Thanks everyone for their thought.
My experience with 20+ in IT i believe oracle will keep support other DB server otherwise they will lose sales in the future.

Thanks
AD

Back