OMW transfer security

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
I am the single jde developer/cnc in our shop, and for auditing purposes I have been asked a question I can't answer.

The question is how the ability to advance the status of a project to 38 (production) is secured to a single user (PROMOTE3 in our case). As a developer, using my regular user id, i can advance the status of my OMW project from 21 to 26, and on to 28. But do not have the ability to move it to 38. I have to sign on as user PROMOTE3 (which has a management controlled password). Then when I go into OMW that option to advance the projec to 38 is then available.

My question is, where is that setup that connect the user PROMOTE3 with this ability to move the status to 38-production. I have looked in OMW configuration but can't see it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello,

Its a dirty trick, but its not in the OMW. What you are seeing is row level security against the user/ role for the account you mentioned.

I forget if its a simple UDC lookup (F0005, etc) but the one account/role has access to move to 38 and the other doesn't. If you look around the Oracle support site you'll see this as the "Recommended" option. It would have been a lot more intelligent for Oracle to build this in along side the other OMW configuration, like preventing checkouts in prod using OMW specific rules..

happy friday

Malcolm

Edit: Clarification

I believe you want to run P98230(Object Management Setup) Then you can check Activity Rules and see what is setup for status of 28 to 38 you should see what User/Role has the ability to advance objects to 38. Also check User Allowed Actions place a 38 in the QBE above Project Status and this will show you what OMW User Role has the ability to change the status. Hope this helps.

It can be setup in two ways. Depending on what error message you get when trying to promote from 28 to 38 it could be one or other.

If when attempting to move from 28 to 38 and signed on as the "developer" and you get a no transfer activity rules found message then it is restricted at the Transfer Activity rule level as mentioned by CNCMiller. If you go into P98230 and Activity rules and hit find , expand status 28 and select item 38 under it , it will show rules the rules when moving from 28 to 38 and more than likely they are not setup for *PUBLIC (out of box setting) but for PROMOTE3 .

If when attempting to move from 28 to 38 and you do not see 38 as an option then go back to P98230 , find status 28 but select it with out expanding. You will see a screen here that shows that various statuses that a project can go to from 28 and next to it is the user than can move it to these statuses , which is again *PUBLIC by default but could have a specific user like PROMOTE3 in your case.

Back