Security Server: Too many connected users

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
I run E9.0 with 8.98.4.7 tools on Linux/Oracle. I configured 15 Security Kernels, with 5 autostart. After an uptime of 4 days I see that I have only 5 Security Kernels running, with some 150 "Connected Users" EACH. At the same time I have only 30 users connected to the system, all environments combined.
Now I have a few questions:
Why do the other 10 security kernels do not start by themselves?
Why do the security kernels not release the unused connections?
Is this a bug? If so, where is it solved?

Thanks, Gerd

To answer your first question the other 10 security kernels are only going to start up if the first five are actively processing requests and another request comes in. So for example if you have six people logging in at the same time an additional security kernel would start up since the first five would handle the first five users and the sixth kernel that starts would handle the sixth users.

For your second question I don't believe it is a bug. There is an Oracle document out there that explains why the old connections still show up but I can't recall off the top of my head.

The fact that you only have 30 users connected to the system means you have way too many security kernels running. The security kernel processes login requests when a user logs in interactivly and also when a UBE is submitted and that's it. So they really aren't running a whole lot. If you only have 30 users then I would set the max security kernels to 2 and just autostart both of them. With your current configuration there just isn't enough activity going on to have the system need to start up any of the 10 kernels in reserve. If you look in server manager you can see how many requests have been sent to the security kernels and I'm willing to bet that only one or two of the kernels are getting a majority of the requests while the others are just sitting there doing nothing.

Hi Junior, thanks for your thoughts.
I meant that I had 30 users THAT VERY moment, I do have peaks of over 200 users.
And when I have 30 connected, by your logic (which is mine as well), all 15 Security Kernels should be active, but they are not, only 5 came up. Why?
Anyway, I already came to the conclusion that all this is not my problem. I was only surprised by the very big number of connections.
Thanks, Gerd

If all 30 people logged in at exactly the same time then you would probably see all 15 security kernel active, but because they are not logging in at exactly the same time you are only seeing five for the same reason I explained above.

On our system we have between 150-200 active users and we run three security kernels and even the third security kernel hardly receives any requests so we could probably get by with just two if we had to.

Its not just the interactive users that connect to the security kernel, You need to factor in the UBE's, BSSV's, RTE's and other integrations as well.

Back