Printer inheritance in 9.1 not working

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
All,

In the previous version if a UBE A calls UBE B via report interconnect, the default printer defined for UBE A was supposed to get passed to UBE B. I have a current setup in 8.10 and its working fine. However its not working in 9.1 Has anyone encountered this issue. Any resolution

Jaise,

We are upgrading from E8.11sp1/TR8.9.7.2.1 to E9.10/TR9.1.0.4 at the moment. You seem to be a little ahead of us as we havn't started our testing as yet.

In your example, from where did the UBEs get there printer? Was a printer changed/assigned on submitting UBE A?

Hi peter

UBE A gets theprinter from Default printer application. Basically we are using this for check applications.
So UBE R94571 has a default printer defined in Printer defination aplication. THisUBE calls R04572/3, which sould inherit same printer. This is not happening in9.1

Jaise,

Have you any idea where the called UBEs (R04572/3) get their printer? Do the called UBEs (R04572/3) actually get a printer? Do the called UBEs (R04572/3) have any printers defined? What does the debug log show about printers when the called UBEs (R04572/3) are submitted?

in E8.10 parent ubedetermines the printer for child ube unless you have it hardcoded in child ube.

Update on this. Since we are using BI publisher to customise our output, the printer inheritance get broken
The Printing sequence is different when you launch a UBE as RD job. When you launch the UBE as RD job the printing will be taken care by XMLP kernel. In normal submissions printing will be taken care by UBE kernel.

In case of UBE kernel printing, it will inherit the printer from the parent UBE that is R04572 will be printed on the printer mapped to R04571. But in case if you associate a Report Definition to R04572 and launched it as XMLP job, XMLP kernel will not inherit printer from Parent UBE from where it got called. Instead it will look for the default printer for the R04572 in P98616 application and direct the output to that printer.

Jaise,

Thanks for the update and your efforts to discover this information! This something that I need to be aware of.

Jaise, I have been watching your post for any update on this. So thanks for this valuable information. Do you know of any Oracle doc id or white paper which documents this.

No, They did not provide any document id on this. I actually spoke to the tech who was quite knowledgeable on the topic and provided me the details

Back