Subject: Work with CPV (Common Procurement Vocabulary) using JD Edwards Category Codes

marinescu

Subject: Work with CPV (Common Procurement Vocabulary) using JD Edwards Category Codes

Hello,

Request: The customer wants to work using an annual procurement plan.
It is mandatory that he uses CPV (Common Procurement Vocabulary) codes when entering OQ, OR, OB or OP order types. That will help tracking and can be used for report purposes.

Resolution: Change DD size (DTAS) of PRP1 (Commodity Class) and PRP2 (Commodity Subclass) from 3 to 10, the data type will remain as a string. I actually need the size of 8, but just to be covered.
Changes on DD will be made through OMW, as part of a project.
Is it mandatory to make the same changes to PDP1 (Reporting code 1-Purchasing) and PDP2 (Reporting code 1-Purchasing)?
The codes from the CPV are to be attached to Item Master and Item Branch/Plant through Category Codes.
Add new records in 41/P1 (let’s say 12345678-9) and 41/P2 (let’s say 98765432-1).

I would be grateful for an opinion from your side if this is the correct/easiest way to do and changes must be done to all 4 DD items above or only to PRP1 and PRP2.

Configuration: JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.1, TR 9.0.1.

Thank you.

Re: Subject: Work with CPV (Common Procurement Vocabulary) using JD Edwards Category Codes

I am a little surprised that no one else has replied.

If you do even a little research on JDEList regarding Data Dictionary modifications, especially the size, you will get a loud and clear <font color="red"> "DO NOT CHANGE STANDARD DATA DICTIONARY ITEMS" </font>. PRP1 and PRP2 are used in standard JDE tables (In my system, I count 83 columns in 44 tables), as well as, I would guess, numerous applications, UBEs, BSFNs, BSVWs etc. As such the results of making these changes would be one large headache (and a huge risk). You would have to track down every occurence of the data item in every object and make the correponding changes. If you are able to track them down, there is no garantee that you will have got all of them, the changes to tables would risk the data they contain. Then, when it comes to an upgrade, you will have an enormous overhead (and risk) doing the same thing again.

I think I remember one JDEList member saying it would be better to shoot yourself in the foot than to change standard data dictionary items. I think the same member recommended bringing your CV up to date if you contemplate changing standard data dictionary items, because you are going to need it to get another job and if it became known that you changed standard data dictionary objects, a change in career would be in order!

It would be better to create custom "tag table(s)" to hold the alternative codes and modify only the objects required to use the "tag table(s)". There are probaably a number of other alternatives as well.

Do your research, even it is only on JDEList, to determine the cost/risk/benefit of the various alternatives for achieving your requirement.

Re: Subject: Work with CPV (Common Procurement Vocabulary) using JD Edwards Category Codes

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your answer. It was what I have expected, and I am also surprised that no one had the time to reply.
I have done more than a little research within JD Edwards documentation, Oracle SRs, JDEList, ITToolbox, and I have even raised the question to several forums on LinkedIn.
So, please be assured I try to document myself as much as I can.
Actually, I was never happy to deal with DD items, so I was just hoping that there may be a standard alternative (or something close to it) to solve the request.
So far, no result using Cat Codes, Supplemental Data or any of similar kind.
As suggested by someone from LinkedIn forum, and enforced by you, it seems I have to ask my CNC to create a custom table and modify some objects.

I am relieved that you have done extensive research into this and are not considering forcing a career change on yourself.
grin.gif

Though I thought that you would have come across a couple of threads on JDEList that would have given you some options. What you have been tasked with is not new. I thought I remembered a couple of threads in JDEList, at least partially, on the topic of larger category codes and the like.

Something else you may consider is to "clone" any standard applications and/or reports/UBEs that you need to modify, creating custom copies. The advantage is that when it comes to upgrading the custom objects will be carried forward and you will not have to refit your modifications. Also, if a problem occurs you still have the unmodified standard object to compare (if applicable) to see if it is a problem with the modifications or standard functionality. The disadvantage is that any changes to the standard object will not be included in the custom object and you may need to re-clone and modify, re-creating the objects you need.

Wecome to The JDEList Marinescu!
This forum deals with CNC issues; you might have faster replies on the Developers forum.
PS It is the developer's task to create and to design the table, add its fileds and its indeces, and, if no permissions to generate tables are in place for the developer, have the CNC generate it.

"I am also surprised that no one had the time to reply"

I am surprised you didn't have to time to search. As Peter said changing DD Items length is not a new question.

Actually, as my post said, I did.
And the answers are not 100% against changing.

Back