JDE E1 upgrade Help

Skippy96

So i want to thank everyone for their help on my previous post. In short, I'm new to JDE and am looking for help in a planned upgrade that we are performing for our company.

Old Post: http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=173643&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

after much discussion, the decision was made to stay on WebSphere and upgrade to windows 2008 on the OS.

below is a short recap of our current environment

JDE: Enterprise One 8.9
Tools Release: 8.98.2
Web servers = win 2k3 with WebSphere 6
Logic server = win 2k3
IBM i on Power Systems V6R1 (all-in-one)
Deployment server = win 2k3 with sql dB

This is our planned new environment:

JDE: Enterprise One 8.9
Tools Release 8.98.4.1
Web servers = win 2k8 R2 with WebSphere 8
Logic server = win 2k8 R2
IBM i on Power Systems V6R1 (all-in-one)
Deployment server = win 2k8 with sql dB

Questions regarding the web servers:

1. Are there any "gothchas" or common issues with this new configuration?
2. Any hardware/software configuration best practices (1cpu with 8gb RAM vs. 2 CPU with 4GB RAM)
3. Are there any build documents or white papers you guys recommend to use?
4. Is there any Load balancing within JDE or websphere that needs to be taken into account

Thank you

At a first glance the one thing I see that stands out is that you mention your application release to be "8.9" ? or was that a typo ? If it was not a typo and you are indeed on version 8.9 then tools release 8.98.4 is not listed as a supported tools release for this application release (8.9). In fact 8.9 is not listed at all.

First of all, I think you need to check your tools release in the MTR - if you plan on staying on EnterpriseOne 8.9 - then there is a limitation on what tools release you can install. 8.98 is not an option - but since you claim you're running on 8.98.2 - my guess is that your EnterpriseOne version is incorrect.

It makes sense for you to stick with Websphere for your J2EE server if you're an AS/400 customer. Moving your windows servers to Windows 2008 R2 is a good idea - PROVIDING your EnterpriseOne version can support a tools release that supports Windows 2008 R2. If you can't - then you're stuck at Windows 2003 unless you upgrade.

If you ARE running 8.9 - then you're bigger concern is the fact you're running unsupported, outdated software that lost support in 2008 or so. You need to seriously plan an upgrade to EnterpriseOne 9.0.2 or 9.1 (which is estimated to be due out before May, 2012). That way, you'll absolutely be fine for at least 5 years of platform support.

As for websphere - there are many documents out there - but it is really recommended not to use clustering NOR is it a good idea to purchase the enterprise edition - just go with the standard J2EE server and save some $$$$.

Use a hardware load-balancer. In April at Collaborate in Vegas, I'll be demonstrating how to load balance for FREE ! Don't miss that presentation (tell all your friends !) No, I can't reveal anything before the conference...

Thanks guys for the info for some reason my post didnt tak the right information.

CORRECT information Below:

Our Current Architecture:

Enterprise One v.8.12
Tools Release: 8.98.2.2
Enterprise Server= IBM Power System I OS: V6R1
Database= DB2 (AS400).
Web servers = win 2k3 with WebSphere 6.0.2.21
Logic server = win 2k3
Deployment server = win 2k3 with SQL Local Database

This is our planned Tools release upgrade:

Enterprise One v.8.12 (remains the same)
Tools Release 8.98.4.6
Web servers = win 2k8 R2 with WebSphere 7
Logic server = win 2k8 R2
Enterprise Server= IBM Power System I OS: V6R1 (remains the same)
Database= DB2 (AS400). (remains the same)
Deployment server = win 2k8 with Oracle 11g as local database

If 8.12 then you should be good with your tools release version and the various software versions.

Do you currently use VS 2005 on your W2k3 Logic servers ? I believe you have to use VS 2008 or higher as the compiler on W2K8 servers.

With the new deployment server are you retaining the same name or using a new name ? If using a new name follow the steps for "Changing out a Deployment Server"

[ QUOTE ]
If 8.12 then you should be good with your tools release version and the various software versions.

Do you currently use VS 2005 on your W2k3 Logic servers ? I believe you have to use VS 2008 or higher as the compiler on W2K8 servers.

With the new deployment server are you retaining the same name or using a new name ? If using a new name follow the steps for "Changing out a Deployment Server"

[/ QUOTE ]

I will speak to our developers regarding Visual studio versions as the upgrade might not currently be in scope and would need to be added.

We will be using the same name for the Deployment Server. Our though was to bring one down and then bring the new one up during an outage so as to not have both on the network at the same time.

Thank you.

Back