WebSphere 7.0 with Network Deploy

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi guys,

does anybody have any experience with WebSphere 7.0 and Network deployment?

Is the installation of WAS7 any different when I want to use this new feature?

Does this integrate seamless with Server Manager?
Meaning: does is work as I would expect?

mad.gif

Thanks, Gerd

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

does anybody have any experience with WebSphere 7.0 and Network deployment?

Is the installation of WAS7 any different when I want to use this new feature?

Does this integrate seamless with Server Manager?
Meaning: does is work as I would expect?

mad.gif

Thanks, Gerd

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it works just fine and is the preferred way to configure a clustered JAS system for EnterpriseOne with WebSphere.

Network Deployment is not new.

It is indeed integrated into Server Manager. The document you are looking for is Clustering Best Practices on WebSphere 6.0/6.1. Although for WAS6, most of it is the same.

https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=HOWTO&id=749228.1

Ha, ha, if you are iSeries and WAS 7.0...

[Clinton] ...I feel your pain... [/Clinton]

I found all kinds of problems with the WAS 7.0 ND install process and iSeries.

1. Oracle refused to deliver all of the required ND components thru edelivery. There is a CD that should be downloadable for iSeries called Supplements and they absolutely refused to put it on the site. The install guide specifically says that you have to have it for WS ND (all releases) but Oracle would not release it to me. They have it for 6.x and they have it for Intel 7.0 ND but not iSeries 7.0 ND. They finally put it on an Oracle ftp server. To this day it is not available. If you don't install it, you wont get the plugins.

2. Oracle recommends using the qshell console installation process. IBM specifically told me that the Windows console process is better / should be used instead.

3. If you do not install the iSeries cume and various PTF groups immediately after installing WAS 7 ND, you will run into all kinds of problems. Oracle loosely mentions this but IBM told me that the document doesn't really point this out clearly. It has to be done before the WebSphere fix pack is installed.

4. Make sure WAS 6.x is up and running at the same time you are doing your installation. Otherwise WAS 7.0 will try to use the same ports. You would think IBM would use the .xml files instead of just running a port check but they don't.

Back