How often do you reboot your JDE Servers?

CNC_Person

Hi all,

I have been given the task of finding out if reboots are necessary. I have a network person who thinks you should only restart services and never reboot.

I was previously told to reboot servers weekly but am thinking that may be too often.

Please give me your thoughts.

MS SQL Server 2005 (wouldn't reboot), just all other servers.

8.98.3.2 9.0 JDE
WebSphere 6.1

Thank you!!

Hi,

My accounts reboot their Windows servers (Web, SQL,
Enterprise, etc) once a week. No problems so far.

Hi,

I guess your question depends a bit on what kind of servers you use in your platform. What OS are they ? It could be a different answer if it's windows (and what version) or unix/linux ones.
May be you should give a little more information about that.

Though, in our case, our out-sourcing company in charge of our production platform, where all servers are windows 2003, used to reboot them every week.
But we just took control back on the whole servers, and we're gonna change that for one server : our Oracle database server, because stopping it every week leads to awful performance to rebuild cache and stuff.
With older windows versions (W2k and under), it was pretty recommended to stop the OS quite often, due to known issues with memory management.
But with earlier version (W2k3 and W2008), OS get more stable, and they can run for weeks without issues.
It's not Unix/Linux OS, which can run for years, but it's getting better.

Though, talking about JDE application itself, i like to stop it on regular basis, because it allows to clean logs (JAS, Entreprise Servers), and make it easier to monitor and analyse if anything goes wrong.

Here is how we do in our case.

Cheers,

we reboot our windows based logic/batch/web servers once a week. After applying Microsoft updates, a reboot is generally required.

Our database (for now) is AS/400. We take that to restricted state once a month for a full backup.

We usually reboot once a month (only the Web & App servers, not the DB)

AS/400: about twice a year, mostly to put in patches
Windows JAS Servers: 3-4 times a year.
OAS: 4-6 times a year
JDE instances: Varies depends what I see in the logs, if I start seeing 'funky' stuff I cycle the JDE instance. I'd guess we cycle our 6 prod instances on average 12-16 times a year.

Tom
JDE 8.12 AS/400 Win 2k3, OAS Tools 8.98.3.4

We're on all Windows 2008 (or Win2008R2) servers. Once a month, we apply updates and then reboot them (database, enterprise, batch, deployment and web servers).

I Restart my services (OAS/JDE) once every week.

My Physical Servers only if applied patch or hw issue.

Back