SQL 2008 R2 design recommendations input requested

cncjay

Well Known Member
We will soon migrate from AS/400 to Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 for the business data. We have already migrated the logic and UBE to Windows platform.

The EMC storage that we are purchasing will consist of Flash,SSD and 15K drives.

In preparing for the SQL 2008R2 install, what are the recommended design best practices?

For example, which component (OS, Data, tempDB, Tlogs) of SQL is best suited for Flash,SSD, 15K drives?

Thank you,

I highly recommend SSD. We converted over to FusionIO SSD cards about 6 month ago. All our SQL performance issues disappeared. Previously we were on an EMC DMX-4.

Also for sizing purposes make sure to compress you SQL database after converting it. Going from AS/400 to SQL 2008 R2 with page compression you can safely assume the size of your db will decrease by 70%.

Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes indeed, I recently became aware that the data would drastically reduce.

In regards to the design, what would be the best design approach when configuring/installing the SQL database,?

...for exmaple, would tempDB work best on Flash, or SSD or 15K drives - same with Tlogs, are they a better candidate for Flash, SSD or 15K drives?

Regards,

Tough call: presumably SSD is by far the fastest option, so you would want everything there ;-)

How many of each disks have you got? What capacity are they? Do you have IO/s & bandwidth ratings for the SSD/Flash disks? What kind of controller are you connecting your 15k drives to? How much cache does it have? What are your DB sizes?

Alex - Thanks for your input. I will meet with the SAN administrator tomorrow AM and get the exact specifications.

The hardware is about six weeks from delivery. The high level info I have is that it contains Flash, SSD and 15K drive storage.

Thanks,

When you talk to your San team make sure they are able to commit to providing you at least 300MB/sec throughput with less than 20 ms latency.

cncjay, what web service did you decide to go with? Websphere or OAS/WebLogic? We are also moving from and IBM stack to MS and in the planning phase now.

Back