Development/eGenerator clients on server OS

DRezanka

DRezanka

Reputable Poster
We are upgrading to 9.0/8.94 and are faced with a constraint with our fat clients. We are being pressured to go with a server OS in the datacenter or use workstations thousands of miles from the datacenter. Latency is a concern and there is strong push-back with our request for virtual workstations.

In the past, we have used fat clients on Windows 2003 successfully. But we have never tried this with the Web Dev client or the eGenerator. I know the risk because this is unsupported by Oracle. Does anyone have experience running a development or CNC client on Windows 2003 or 2008? Are there any known functionality issues doing this?

Thanks much
Doug

Doug,

My experience is that VMs Rock - for Remote or 'Distant' Development. CNC folk will have to chime in on the CNC aspect with a VM ~ as package building has it's own little quirks. There are MANY pros to going VM for Developer machines (even in the local office) and any form of WAN-Access Development will be a struggle.

Another option I've seen is a bank of cheap blades, being used as physical development and / or CNC machines. You just 'remote' into them with RDP and challenge through your day's work.

I spent a couple weeks in Southfield at the end of September - I should have made that call and told you to take me to dinner.

(db)

Dan, you definitely should have called. Look me up next time.

Our situation is the datacenter is for servers ONLY! Even though we have virtual workstations already in place, they are challenging our request for more. I hope to resolve this, but anticipate they will require us to validate the app on a server OS first. I expect it will work, but am concerned about any hidden gotchas.

Eventually we are supposed to have resolved the virtual workstation issue, but it will certainly not happen before we upgrade JDE.

Thanks!

Well, the good news is that with 9.0, you shouldn't need the eGenerator. I have configured Windows 2003 machines to do that in cases of extreme necessity, so it should work for you.

But the best choice is to get the virtual workstations you are requesting. Given that they are virtual machines, then they would be hosted on a SERVER would they not? Where is the policy violation in that?

Hee-hee. We thought about the 'server' approach. There's more to it than that. The licensing is different and workstations do not fit in their processes. I know it sounds small, but the issue is more the JDE footprint is tiny in a very large organization. 

Would using XML specs instead of TAM also work for the developers? Would we no longer need the web dev client?

No, unfortunately, the development cycle, including local web pieces, works in the same way as in previous releases.

[ QUOTE ]
We are upgrading to 9.0/8.94 and are faced with a constraint with our fat clients. We are being pressured to go with a server OS in the datacenter or use workstations thousands of miles from the datacenter. Latency is a concern and there is strong push-back with our request for virtual workstations.

In the past, we have used fat clients on Windows 2003 successfully. But we have never tried this with the Web Dev client or the eGenerator. I know the risk because this is unsupported by Oracle. Does anyone have experience running a development or CNC client on Windows 2003 or 2008? Are there any known functionality issues doing this?

Thanks much
Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Choices:

1- WMware
2- Remote Development on Terminal Server
3- Fat clients on W2K3

Any will work.

Back