Multi-Foundation Advantages vs Trouble

fbrammer

fbrammer

We've been advised to go to multi-foundation. We're looking into it. Clearly flexibility brings in complexity. What we're trying to figure out is the complexity worth it for our system.

We see the advantage configuring MF for an ASU or major upgrade, but we're not planning anything like that anytime soon.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to multi-foundation?

Thanks.

You only really need to go multi-foundation if you're upgrading your Tools Release and want to test it out in your test environments. If you have your Production server separate from your DV/PY servers you really don't even have to do that because you can just upgrade your DV/PY servers to the latest Tools Release.

What are you trying to accomplish by this? It sound like your definition of multi foundation might be a little different than the standard.

Frank,

the big advantage is testing out Tools releases. Otherwise what happens is you either:

a) take a risk that dropping a new TR in will halt/harm production
-or-
b) stop applying new tools releases due to FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) from above risk, thereby missing out on new functionality, falling behind / out of support with OS Releases, Databases, Middleware, Client Browsers, . . .

We are multi-foundation for the very reason others have specified. Tools releases. I would also say it is well worth it. I don't believe we have ever taken a tools release that didn't cause some issue, sometimes requiring an Oracle provided POC before we installed under PD.

From what I've read so far you are confirming what I thought. We have several servers that we can update independently and not hit our main production Enterprise or Web server.

We're also pretty much committed to stay on the latest tools release for the next several years. We've already fallen way behind (4.1) because of fear.

Based on past experience, I'm 100% certain we're not going to deeply "test" a tools release even if we are MF before sliding it into our really DV or PY path codes. I am 100% certain we can apply tools releases to one web server and one Enterprise (really App Server) for our real DV and PY path code and leave it there for a couple of weeks. If there are no show stoppers we can apply it to the rest of our servers.

Does that sound about right?

Thank you.

Back