FatClient install on Windows 2003 server is very slow..

erick1028

Hi all, everytime i install package on windows 2003 it always take a half hour..,but it takes me about 5 min to install on windows 7, any idea can solve this problem? Thanks!!

Hi,

Did you check how is set up your antivirus on both ?
Did you exclude install directory ?

Rgds,

Be aware that W2003 is not a supported platform
for JDE Fat clients.

Have you checked for virus and disk fragmentation?
What about network connectivity? Are both machines
W7 and W2003 clients on the same network?
How full are your disks on your W2003 client?

Have you compared the jdeinst.log from both machines for the same package to see where the time difference is?

Virus:no
disk fragmentation:not check
network:all the same
W2003 available disk space about 10g
but W2003 has 10g ram
w7 only 2g ram
tongue.gif

thanks

the most difference..
W7:File copy and configuration time: 00 hours 02 mins and 59 secs, 93 lines
W2003:File copy and configuration time: 00 hours 27 mins and 14 secs, 14lines
thanks!!

Hi,

Its like that on my end also for a full package, update package is quick...its no issue on my end as long as it installs ok.

Hope this helps.

Hi Eric,

You got 10 Gb free out of a total of? 50 Gb? 200 Gb?
When your disk reaches 80-85% full, it will
definitely slow down.

Try deleting the package.inf file on the client before running the package install.

After i delete the package.inf and reinstall same package on win2003 ,it takes about 21 mins (orinigal 30mins), what is the reason? Thanks!!

[ QUOTE ]
After i delete the package.inf and reinstall same package on win2003 ,it takes about 21 mins (orinigal 30mins), what is the reason? Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it spends time looking at the packages listed in the package.inf but have no idea what the benefit is.

But 21 mins is still far too long for a typical update package. Assuming 100Mbps LAN network between client and deployment server then something less than 2 minutes sounds more normal to me.

It sounds like there is a virus checker involved (possibly on the deployment server) or there is a network bottleneck somewhere.

Note that some AV can't be stopped by policy or restart themselves when stopped. You really need to disable the damn things for package installs.

We have used the work around of bypassing the JDE file directories in antivirus scans. This dramatically improves installs and we haven't heard of any virus or hacks focused on JDE yet. We do the exclusion at the antivirus server level, so any new client install is automatically excluded.

thanks to all who answered me
smile.gif

I'll try these suggestions to find this problem on next update! hope it can be successful!

the install log is very helpful for issues like this. I see you posted the full time it took but look at the log for breaks in time. Does it occur before the update starts installing, during the file copy, or during the installation (the installer does lots of things before it atually starts)?

What version of JDE (specs flat files or DB)
What version of local DB.
The defrag one is a good one to check.
If your using DB specs, check the index fragmentation of your local DBs.
The virus scanner never helps performance.

Again why do you have a fat client on a win 2003 server anyway?

Hi Jolly, how many objects in ur update package? it usually has 100~200 objects in my update package, dose it affect installing fatclient time ?(it also take me 30 mins to install fatclient..) Thank You!

Back