New challange for new customer

gigi

gigi

VIP Member
Hi, a customer asked me to estimate his database growth in space space basing my consideration over number of records provided and kbyte per record for each table. I attach an Excel File where I put some numbers.
It indicates for main tables annual records number, dimension for record, annual growth in Mbyte for the first year and for the second year. Following these numbers do you have any suggestion for example from database hardware point of view (Oracle database is mandatory)? Did you see in your experince these numbers? In your opinion Is E1 software (Release 9.00) able to manage them in terms of performance?

Customer model will be based on one work order for one serial number, so numbers you have seen in Excel are deducted by number of BOM, routing and so on.
Other customers have decided, for example, to manage a custom Item Ledger to lighten F4111 and developed a custom module to manage warehouse issues.

So internally customer has open the debate: change the process model or buy huge server?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
thanks in advance
gg

Attachments

• 171535-DataBase.xls
    24.5 KB · Views: 109
Gigi,

Your spreadsheet is a good start for estimating size. Typically a customer will go back to the hardware vendor for hardware sizing recommendations based on this type of information. Both IBM and HP (the two I have worked with the most) have JDE-centric practices for sizing the hardware.

Once the customer gets that info back, I'll mix in my experience and tweak the recommendations from the vendor.

As for changing processes, vanilla is my favorite flavor. Which means, do not create or change in JDE unless absolutely necessary to achieve a desired function. Many people vary from that thinking, but the more vanilla the easier any upgrade, ESU, ASU, or update.

My two cents US$.

-Ethan

GG,

Before we can estimate size, there needs to be a little more 'history' and a fairly solid estimate of growth/loss. Two years is, probably, not going to provide sufficient numbers, in most industries (what is the industry ~ might help, also)....

How many years out are they looking?

If your numbers remain a constant (growth remains the same), the organization adds the same amount of records every year (they don't dream the dream and succeed in giant growth)...

Gross Estimate - 682,793.85 mb at the end of Year 5?

Things not really considred:
- Patches/Updates
- OS Changes/Patches/Updates
- Real Growth/Loss Estimates
- That this is purely guess work, when based on only two years

Before the real mathmaticians can give a solid guess, I'm sure they will ask for some defined assumptions...

(db)

The Disclaimer: I am not a MathMagician, I don't own any Oracles, I don't trust the Priest to tell me when the rapture will occur and I was negligent to cancel my trip to the Owyhee Desert to eliminate the Whistle-Pig compound (Local media is Ferociously tracking me, as the one to blame for the Rodent Infestations)...

Back