Websphere Monitoring Tool

AIUK

Hi
Does anyone use a tool to monitor their websphere environment?
We are on WAS 6.1 and have 17 jvms for the PD environment. The tpv that comes with WAS is quite limited in that you can only monitor one jvm at a time. I am looking to see how often jvms Garbage Collect to see if I can tune the jvm any better but also knowledge of the thread pool and memory usage would be good!

From the 'out of touch' developer....

I thought that you could do much of the monitoring through Server Manager? At a previous client ~ the CNC folk had flagged several alerts to ping much of the IT/E1 staff in the event that different issues on the Web occurred (processes taking too long, function crashes....)

I know it was through Server Manager, I just don't recall the 'how'.

(db)

Thank you for your reply
smile.gif
yes you can do a bit from the server manager but that is just monitoring call object errors, which is still useful, but I would like something that monitors Websphere performance, not jde on Websphere.

We used a free tool written in Java that analyzes the GC logs produced by websphere (you have to enable the verbose setting on the instance). Unfortunately I'm not at the client today, but will post the details tomorrow. I also think IBM has a free resource kit with other tools. Try googling websphere GC analysis or the like.

Craig

Hi,

We use IBM's Pattern Modeling and Analysis Tool (PMAT). Excellent for monitoring memory usage/leaks and garbage collection, though you do need to turn on verbose GC.

Regards

Neil.

Just to follow up ... it was indeed the IBM Pattern Modeling and Analysis Tool that Neil referenced.

Craig

Back