Memory MTRs for HTML Servers.

m@dm@x

m@dm@x

Well Known Member
Good Morning List. I hope all is well.

In an attempt to actually build my Jas servers the appropriate way, I decided to actually use the MTRs Oracle provides. After a few minutes of desperately searching the Knowledge Garden I found the document I was looking for. However, there were no memory requirements in the document.

Currently, our 810 production system has 8 gb of memory. However, I wanted to get a consensus of how much memory everyone here on the list is throwing into their systems and why they made the decision to use the amount they decided on.

The HTML servers I plan on building will serve 9.0 under TR 8.94.2. We intend to run Webshpere 6.1.

Max

Max,

Since JDE only supports 32-bit WebSphere, each JVM can only use 2GB RAM (32-bit limit). What platform are you planning to run WAS 6.1? On Windows I typically use 2GB RAM for OS and misc, + 2GB per JVM. IBM iSeries and other platforms use other methods for calculating, but none can exceed 2GB per JVM due to 32-bit memory addressing.

-Ethan

Ethan,
We plan on running Windows 2008 R2 64 bit. So it sounds like we only need 2 gig above what the OS needs. minus anti-virus and backup software of coarse.

Max

Max,

You can run more than one JVM on single OS instance, so make sure to size for that. For example, you might want one of each JPD900, JPY900, and JDV900 on the server. That is 2GB for each JVM, so 6 GB for WAS 6.1.

-Ethan

Back