"Text" Button Intermittently Disappears

Carrie

Carrie

\"Text\" Button Intermittently Disappears

Hi List -

I've got an odd issue that is deeper than my functional understanding. We're on 9.0, Update 2, Tools 8.98.3.4 and Windows 7 w/IE 8. Occasionally, the users run into an issue when they add either a header or detail attachment where the "text" button is missing. It's not application or user/role specific. If the user logs off and back on, the button comes back. I can't really judge whether it's machine specific because I cannot duplicate it at will.

I have no technical knowledge of how attachments behave with Internet Explorer but if anyone has a thought that could steer me in a good direction, I'd be appreciative!

Thank you,
Carrie Ricotta
JDE Functional Consultant

Re: \"Text\" Button Intermittently Disappears

Hi Carrie,

By 'Text' Button - you mean the 'Media Object' button on the Grid? If so, I think most of us are puzzled.

I've seen it a few times, on every sort of form. I've even shared the experience with Oracle (never resolved).

I haven't heard any magic cure, other than closing the form and re-opening ... usually resolves the issue.

(db)

Yes, DB, I did mean the media object attachments that are available at both the header and detail levels on some applications.

I'm glad that someone other than myself has experienced this. It's certainly not a show stopper or the end of the world but I'd like to be able to find a resolution.

I couldn't find it mentioned on Oracle's website. If you know the issue #, share it and I'll piggy back it.

Glad you are feeling better,
Thanks,
C

Hello Carrie

After reviewing the following documents from Oracle Support during our EnterpriseOne 9.0 Upgrade Go-Live weekin the last week of February of this year: (E1: MOBJ: How to Configure Media Objects to Work on the HTML / Web Client [ID 845387.1] and E1: INST: Issue Installing ActiveX Controls for Internet Explorer by a Non-Administrative User on a Workstation or Server [ID 761109.1] ) as recommended to us by a colleague we were able to resolve our problems with text media object attachments.

The E1 User will also need to Add your E1 URL to the Trusted Sites, leave the security level set to Medium for Trusted Sites, and uncheck Enable Protected Mode.

Also, in the Internet Explorer options:
On the Security tab
Highlight "Local Intranet"
Select Custom Level.

All ActiveX controls marked as Safe should be set to Enable

All ActiveX controls not marked as Safe should be set to Prompt.

This resolved all of our Media Object problems with the infamous disappearing Text button.

Thank you Terry,

We actually have done all of those things to our 9.0 machines prior to getting this project started as per the documentation. We're trying to determine now if we can narrow the intermittent problem down to specific machines so we can go in to make sure that we didn't miss one of those steps on those machines. Go-live is coming up quickly so we want to ensure that we're consistent on machine set up not only here in the corporate office but to all of the field offices too. It's reassuring to know that it's accepted that it most likely is an IE issue and not something else.

Thanks so much,
Carrie

JDE Functional Consultant

One other recommendation, take a look at machines experiencing the problems and see if they have any custom internet toolbars like Google, MSN, etc. I found a couple users had pop-up controls settings in the toolbars that conflicted with the IE8 settings and some of these caused the same symptoms.

Awesome Terry, good call. I'll keep an eye out for that kind of thing too!

We were having the same issues with IE8 and found that the compatibility view settings were causing the issue. If you uncheck "display intranet sites in compatibility view" then the activex settings stop working. If you make sure its checked then the activex settings start working again.

This also affects importing through excel because it affects the jdeexpimpu.ocx.

Back