no more ODA, what now?

BenA

We are in the process of upgrading to Enterprise One 9 and now we are trying to determine what we are going to do about all the users that have MSAccess queries setup to use ODA since it is now gone for non FAT client users. What have you all done about end users with tons of Access queries that relied on ODA connections?

I suggested the use of Oracle Apex but that doesn't handle implied decimals, dates, or table/bv names. I'm thinking it could still be used and base it on top of oracle views or materialized views to handle the implied decimal problems.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ben,

the real problem is the continued use of ODA. Wean yourself off of it
smile.gif

While MSAccess is a cheap query tool it isn't the greatest either.

We did have a similar issue in a way. Our home grown reporting solution centered on Crystal Reports was all fat client. Going to 9.0 and the web made us do a rethink. We ended up with Business Objects Edge + Preferred Strategies "Quick Launch for JDE" product.

We had to spend some money after being cheap for 10 years (really cheap) but now we have a BI / reporting solution that has multiple tools/ways for querying and reporting and is accessible by all users regardless of location around the world.

Look at your migration pains as an opportunity.
There are a lot of third party solutions out there. Just google JDE REPORTING and you'll see lots of choices. The good ones handle all the dates and decimal stuff for you so you don't need to re-invent the wheel.

Larry,

I would love to get rid of the ODA/MSAccess tag team, it's a performance nightmare in the database. I've had to write log on triggers to deny connections via Access at one time or another due to the load it was generating.

We've been tasked with trying to find the path of least resistence/change though. ugh...

My preference would actually be Apex on top of views for a cheapo method. If we were just throwing money at the situation I'd be all ears on the latest & greatest BI tools though.
smile.gif

Thanks,

Ben,
The good news is there are other options to MS Access
wink.gif

We took the full blown Business Objects variant, the InfoView, and had the Datawarehouse built with RapidDecision.
This is on top of Hyperion.

Back