Xe on Oracle 8

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi List,

yesterday I was at a planning meeting for an Upgrade Xe to E900. The Xe database is Oracle 8 and the client is in no condition to upgrade the database software. So we will be creating a new Oracle instance with Oracle 11i. Two questions remained:

1. If I install an Oracle 10 or 11 client on my E900 Deployment Server, will the planner be able to extract all necessary information from my System - B7333 datasource on Oracle 8 and later on access DD7333, PY7333, etc ?

2. For the TC we will copy CRPDTA and CRPCTL to the new database. The DBA had a doubt if he can do an export from Oracle 8 and import to Oracle 11i. In other words, is the version gap ( 8 vs. 11 ) too big to do that?

Thanks for any advice, Gerd

In theory, you shouldn't really have an issue for the conversion. As long as you use two different OCI datasources - one for the Oracle 8 database (JDBOCI80.dll) and the other for the Oracle 11 database, then you should be able to connect and you should be able to use CPYTBLE to convert.

I certainly wouldn't necessarily use a database export/import - though it shouldn't be impossible - but to 100% ensure safety, you could create some CPYTBLE scripts or Table Conversions to copy the data. Run many in parallel, and it'll run just as fast as if it were a direct database copy.

Some Oracle DBA will likely tell me that a simple Export/Import will work fine - but m warning is that this is a good opportunity to utilize OneWorld to "cleanse" as much of your data through the data dictionary as possible. Just my 2c....

Gerd,

reference note 455832.1 on oracle's support site. This bit us when we upgraded server from 9i ti 11g but didn't upgrade all the clients.

May not be an issue in your case - just a heads up.

Thanks Jon and Larry.

I will take a look.

Have a nice weekend, Gerd

Back