Oracle Stops All Software Development For Intel Itanium Microprocessor

cdawes

VIP Member
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/346696

So after seeing the CEO of HP on stage at OpenWorld saying pretty much nothing for 2 years in a row something tells me they won't be there this year.

Okay but seriously why run HP-UX anyways? HP makes great x86 platforms so why not just run Linux?

Is this the end of HP-UX?

I think it's now clear that the predominant player in the Unix market will be IBM.......atleast they still make there own processors (Power 7) which happen to run like extremely fast.

Colin

No big surprise there. The adoption of Itanium was doomed as soon as the criticism's started to fly.

I'm glad that it is finally completely out of the product list.

As for HP-UX, I don't see that being a dead OS at all - certainly SAP customers will continue to utilize it....

HP made a HUGE mistake getting rid of Hurd at the end of last year (who is now CEO of Oracle, btw) - and my view is that HP is going to slide further behind in market cap over the next couple of years.

They do make great x86 platforms - but theres no profit margin in x86/x64. Dell pretty much put a stop to making profit in x86.

I expect HP to slide behind Oracle/Sun, and then I expect Oracle to take on IBM in, say, 3-5 years. I certainly don't see IBM feeling anything but a target in the unix market !

Okay.......so make that Linux running on DELL x86-64 bit.

Either that or AIX on Power 7. Right now I see only 2 options.

As for Sun Solaris...........well doesn't that run on x86-64 and on UltraSparc? Could the same thing happen here in a few years with "bye bye" UltraSparc?

Right now I'm trying to find a Venture Cap to foot me in the Oracle $10 million dollar performance challenge.

Think I'll take a few IBM 64 CPU Power 795 and add about 10 TB of RAM SAN with all 100% solid state disk........that'll crush Larry's precious ExaData to death.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
As for Sun Solaris...........well doesn't that run on x86-64 and on UltraSparc? Could the same thing happen here in a few years with "bye bye" UltraSparc?

[/ QUOTE ]
not really. There's a reason x86 solaris is called "slowaris" - i don't believe that JDE is supported on the x86 solaris.
[ QUOTE ]

Right now I'm trying to find a Venture Cap to foot me in the Oracle $10 million dollar performance challenge.

Think I'll take a few IBM 64 CPU Power 795 and add about 10 TB of RAM SAN with all 100% solid state disk........that'll crush Larry's precious ExaData to death.

Colin

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, absolutely, there's a number of hardware iterations that could do this. The problem is that it'll likely cost $20m to do it !!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

Please sir, don't crush our Exadata! It's all shiny and new and still has that "new car" scent.....
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

Please sir, don't crush our Exadata! It's all shiny and new and still has that "new car" scent.....
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yncIT7iCna0

Back