In surprise move, Oracle sues Starbucks over Java trademark, casting chill over other Java-related products, analysts say

Eric Lehti

VIP Member
In surprise move, Oracle sues Starbucks over Java trademark, casting chill over other Java-related products, analysts say

In surprise move, Oracle sues Starbucks over Java trademark, casting chill over other Java-related products, analysts say.
In an aggressive move to protect the Java franchise acquired along with Sun Microsystems, Oracle has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks on April 1, charging that its use of the term "Java" infringes Oracle copyrights.
"In its reckless use of the term 'Java,' Starbucks knowingly, directly, and repeatedly infringed Oracle's Java-related intellectual property. This lawsuit seeks appropriate remedies for that infringement," said an Oracle spokesperson in a statement.
Read more at:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/misadventures/oracle-sues-starbucks-over-java-trademark-176

Re: In surprise move, Oracle sues Starbucks over Java trademark, casting chill over other Java-related products, analysts say

you're a day late !

Re: In surprise move, Oracle sues Starbucks over Java trademark, casting chill over other Java-related products, analysts say

Eric,

The report was made on Friday 1st April, which is also known as April Fool's Day, but, according to the report, the suit was filed on Thursday 31st March.

I would be very interested if Indonesia sued the legally and trademark sensitive Oracle over the use of the word "Java." I'm fairly certain that their use of the word would predate any trademark or trademark registration system anywhere in the world.

I have no idea where Starbucks sourced the word Java for the name of their coffee ice cream product "Java Chip Frappucino Ice Cream", but wouldn't it be interesting if it was a reference to the Indonesian Island.

a good April Fool's prank by Infoworld!

Back