Is reindexing all tables necessary?

mcginnism

Our SQL server has gotten very slow over the last year or so. I was told that reindexing all of our tables might speed things up. Is this necessary? I found some documentation regarding reindexing but I am a little confused on the documentation.

It says to backup and then clear the F9843 table. Then insert into f9843 ('F0101','','',4,0,'','','',0,'','','','','',0,0,'',0)

And do this for every single table I want to reindex. I want to reindex all tables. At least I assume I do.

Then I am supposed to run R98404

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is it worth it? Also since this is happening in the PS811 database. Will I need to run the R98404 in each environment?

[ QUOTE ]
Our SQL server has gotten very slow over the last year or so. I was told that reindexing all of our tables might speed things up. Is this necessary? I found some documentation regarding reindexing but I am a little confused on the documentation.

It says to backup and then clear the F9843 table. Then insert into f9843 ('F0101','','',4,0,'','','',0,'','','','','',0,0,'',0)

And do this for every single table I want to reindex. I want to reindex all tables. At least I assume I do.

Then I am supposed to run R98404

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is it worth it? Also since this is happening in the PS811 database. Will I need to run the R98404 in each environment?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can determine your database's index fragmentation using scripts here:

http://jeffstevenson.karamazovgroup.com/2008/09/determine-index-fragmentation-in-all.html

Then, ignore the JDE tools and use the native SQL commands to do the index rebuilds....and yes, you do want to rebuild the indexes of all tables in all your databases on a regular basis.

To re-index or not to re-index tables all depends on the table's fragmentation level. Highly fragmented tables will cause performance to go down. We use SQL to analyze table fragmentation and also to re-index the tables.

JFrazee

SQL server has a wizard that allows you to rebuild all your indexes internally. You certainly shouldn't be doing this through JDE - that's complete overkill. A good DBA will be able to create some scripts that can do this for you on a regular (weekly) basis.

Back