Package Cleanup and Deployment Records

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
Is it a good idea that package deployment records are deleted when deleting package assemblies?

I can understand why we remove the build definitions but why the deployment records? The package assemblies need to be removed for space reasons and really contain no important historical information that isn't kept in Build History. The deployment records on the other hand do contain valuable historical info and should be retained and can be retained at no significant cost (space) to the customer.

Opinions?

The package deployment records don't tell you what changes were deployed though so I don't see what value it is to keep around deployment records for a package that is no longer available to install or deploy.

[ QUOTE ]
The package deployment records don't tell you what changes were deployed though so I don't see what value it is to keep around deployment records for a package that is no longer available to install or deploy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The objects can be determined from Package Build History.

Jeff,

Opinion/Comment

The combination of the build history and the deployment records will provide information on what was updated and when. If the OMW logs are retained, it may be posible to work out which objects were actually changed and when and where (machines) they were updated.

I keep all this information for our production system/installation, and most of it in our test/development system/installation.

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

Opinion/Comment

The combination of the build history and the deployment records will provide information on what was updated and when. If the OMW logs are retained, it may be posible to work out which objects were actually changed and when and where (machines) they were updated.

I keep all this information for our production system/installation, and most of it in our test/development system/installation.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do you delete the package assembly without also removing the deployment record?

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

I haven't deleted the assembly, in production.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem - I want to delete the packages.

Jeff,

I can think of 3 possible(?) options:

1) Delete the build record from within application P9621 (work with package build definition) which deletes the physical package as well. The assembly and deployment records remain.

2) Modify the assembly delete so that the deployment records remain - I don't know if this is possible/advisable.

3) Create your own functionality that records deployments separately.

Back