8.98 Upgrade

badda_bing

Well Known Member
We are 8.11 SP1 on HP-UX/Oracle 9i running Tools Release 8.96 - we are looking to upgrade the Tools Release to 8.98_3.3, we are currently testing 8.98 without any major issues, our concern is that we are still using Oracle 9i - has anyone out there upgraded from Tools Release 8.96 to 8.98 whilst on a Oracle 9i database? if so, I would like to hear of any issues? gotchas? etc.

TIA

Is there a reason to stay on 9i ? I would have thought upgrading the database would be the better priority, followed by the 8.98 tools release after a couple of months to ensure all is working ok.

Only that we are trying to get to 11g/8.98 with as few steps as possible. All regression testing so far points to it being fine however 9i/8.98 is an unsupported combination - hence looking for anyone else that has done it.

Sounds like we are going to have to do 10g followed by 8.98 followed by 11g.

regards,

Paul

We are running on version 10 (not 9) and have applied tools release 8.98.4.1. We are currently in testing and plan to go live on it at the end of March. We have NOT seen any Oracle database issues if that helps you at all.
Thanks!

If it was me I'd upgrade the database 1st - which is what we did. Before we upgraded from 8.9 to 9.0 we upgraded our database from 9i to 11g. The database upgrade is far easier than a JDE upgrade and staying in the supported boundaries removes any finger pointing should you run into issues.

FYI when you do upgrade the db, if you're on 9.2.0.4 or earlier now make absolutely sure all 9.2.0.4 clients get upgraded also. There is a known incompatibility between early versions of 9i and later versions of 10g and 11g.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the tip on the clients Larry.

Unfortunately we can't go direct from 9i to 11g as we are on 8.96_1.5 and that is not supported with 11g. In fact, we are still waiting for confirmation that 8.96_1.5 is supported on 10g as we may need to go to 8.96_3 first (Given the version of HP-UX OS we are running- 11.23).

This is exactly why we chose to apply the tools release first and then will be upgrading the database afterwards.

Those darn compatability and support statements.
smirk.gif

You may want to upgrade database and tool at the same time. We have done this in the past in our environment without any issue. This will save your team testing twice. All the issues will be addressed in same test cycle.

Sanjiv

Back