Table Conversions in 9.0

Pardha

We are in the process of planning for an upgrade. Currently we have many Table Conversions (custom) in our installation (8.9). I heard lot of chatter about Table Conversions and EnterpriseOne 9.0. Does EnterpriseOne 9.0 support table conversions? Do we need to re-write any of our custom table conversions? I am looking for answers and any help is appreciated.

Pardha,

TC work in 9.x - just like they do in all other versions of E1 (at least, I don't see them working differently).

Curiosity - what have you heard?

There are a few 'function' enhancements - that make TC's a little easier to play with (but, I think those are more tools related)

(db)

They don't seem to convert right from Xe... the spec merge didn't work, and bringing them straight over with Boomerang didn't work either. We talked to Oracle and they said there was something different about how they worked now and that we'd need to rewrite them all, so that's what we're planning to do.

Thanks for your feedback. Last year one of my colleagues attended Oracle JDE Conference in Denver. He mentioned that Oracle is not going to support (custom) Table Conversions in 9.0. We did setup a sand-box environment and tried few table conversions. They seem to work fine as long as we run them on a fat client. Due to the fact the 9.0 is web, we are concerned about the flat file locations being the C:\ for most of them.

Thanks,
Pardha

We have a process in 9.0 that converts flat files on the server. The files are located in the default IMPORT and EXPORT directories on the Enterprise Server.

If someone comes across that broad statement - I'm eager to know more about it....

I know of one client that uses TC's very (VERY) heavily for external processing. If that comes true - they won't be migrating from in a very simplistic procedure!

Thanks P!

(db)

That is a very interesting statement. I wonder in what context it was offered. Does it mean they are not supporting them, as in "we won't help you with your custom process," or does it mean "no, you're not supposed to be doing those obsolete processes any more, we want you to be doing something else?"

Certainly as far as the moving parts go, there is nothing in 9.0 or the 8.98 family of Tools Releases that would prevent TCs of flat files from operating, wherever the source of the file.

We lost our custom TCs on both upgrades:
1 In 8.10 - from 8.95 to 8.96
2 from 8.10/8.96 to 8.12/8.98
Lessons learned:
1 stopped developing T/Cs
2 replaced existing T/Cs with UBEs.

Adrian,

Can you explain "Lost"? They vanished, stopped working or ???

(db)

Both, Daniel
confused.gif
Didn't work, and when I tried to open them up in designer, they would not open
crazy.gif

In ONE word = lost.

We just converted from 8.9 to 9.0 on Jan 10 after 18 months of conversion work. None of our TCs caused us any issues.

I'm interested to know more, could you please provide more details: what, how, errors, etc. - I was not aware of any particular issues that would affect _all_TC's, just perhaps an occasional one...

TC(s) are finicky - worse than a future gurlfriend!

During a migration, if the underlying table is changed (column added/deleted - whatever) - the TC won't work. Generally its like that regardless of a migration.

Grab your favorite TC
+ open it
+ try it
+ close it
+ alter the table
+ then try opening it again
===================
FAIL

I would like to hear more about Oracle's Comments.

Thus far, in the migrations/retrofits I've worked on in 9.0 - TCs are working as finical as ever (ie, no real changes)!

(db)

Table Conversion upgrade issues (TC's) are a known and documented issue.

The issues are only with conversions to 9.0. There is a solution ID available where on 9.0 you need to delete some "extra" records via SQL to get the TC's to run - that's all.

SEE SOLUTION ID 807913.1

Now even with this the converted TC's may be slow so in this case simply recreate the TC from scratch. There are a few other scenarios that you can run into with the converted TC's but again if in doubt just recreate it.

No other known issues and as far as I know no plans to replace TC's now or in the near future.

Colin

Back