JDE 8.12 Migration

SAM83

Hi, I need some help in Migration of JDE 8.12. I have to migrate JDE 8.12 from IBM iSeries (AIX) platform with tools v8.97 using websphere with DB2 database to OracleVirtualMachine Intel(Linux)platform using OAS with Oracle Database. can you please suggest me some solutions to complete the migration succesfully.

Thanks in advance

If I read this right, you've got 3 different things going on here:

1 - Migrating from an IBM platform to Oracle VM running Linux (same Tools Release?).
2 - Migrating from WebSphere to OAS.
3 - Migrating from DB/2 to Oracle.

First of all, you have some terminology you need to clear up. An IBM iSeries is an AS/400 machine, and runs OS/400, not AIX. On the other hand, an IBM pSeries is an RS/6000 machine which does run AIX.

The difference between the two is the difference in being able to use the same Tools Release software you already have (the AIX Tools Release would be the same files as the ones for Linux), or having to somehow find and download an out-of-date Tools Release for a different platform (AS/400 vs. Linux).

Second of all, there are manuals available on the Oracle web site for the installation of OAS. They are pretty easy to follow, and the Server Manager procedures for installation and configuration have very little difference between WebSphere and OAS.

The third item, the database change, will be the hardest and longest to implement. There are several threads in this section of the forum that talk about database shifts like this one. It would be worth your while to search for these to take in the details, but in summary, I think your best bet would be to install the new server, create the new server configuration in E1, and use lots of R98403 to move the data across.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I need some help in Migration of JDE 8.12. I have to migrate JDE 8.12 from IBM iSeries (AIX) platform with tools v8.97 using websphere with DB2 database to OracleVirtualMachine Intel(Linux)platform using OAS with Oracle Database. can you please suggest me some solutions to complete the migration succesfully.

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Why migrate from Websphere to OAS? OAS has two feet in the grave. If you're going to change your webservers, move to Weblogic. especially if you are migrating to OVM. Oracle has pre-built templates for Weblogic. Weblogic is on par with Websphere. In my opnion, it's better. OAS is junk. {let the flamewar begin.....}
grin.gif

No flames from me, I agree with you ...

But he may not be in a position to: a) upgrade his Tools Release to 8.98.2 or better, and b) worry about any changes in licensing fees by switching from OAS to WebLogic.

What is the difference these days in switching between different shades of the Red Stack? Anybody have any rough numbers?

[ QUOTE ]
No flames from me, I agree with you ...

But he may not be in a position to: a) upgrade his Tools Release to 8.98.2 or better, and b) worry about any changes in licensing fees by switching from OAS to WebLogic.

What is the difference these days in switching between different shades of the Red Stack? Anybody have any rough numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

For us, they let us do a one for one swap of OAS cpus for Weblogic CPUs. Of course we were also spending a truckload on other stuff at the time, and negotiating for an Exadata. Maybe if they buy an Exadata, Oracle will toss is a free trip to Weblogic land?

Thanks for the help but let me clarify you that i dont have any details of there archi. The client has sent me the details of the machines IBM iSeries with Aix. I tried to clarify with him about this but still he says to me as iseries with Aix. About tools release and webserver it is clients requirement which i posted. can you please tell me how can we migrate the dep and ent servers easily

Migrate the Deployment Server? To what? From what? You did not mention this before, and none of the things you are asking about require a change to the Deployment Server (unless you wind up upgrading your Tools Release).

As for the Enterprise Server, which of the tasks that I outlined need clarification?

Also, make no mistake, what you ask is NOT going to be "easily" accomplished, especially the database change. Several people around here have done this before (myself included), but I don't think any of us did it without worrying about many things.

The Enterprise server migrated from AIX to Linux. How to achieve this.

Thanks in advance...

Assuming you are on the same Tools Release, then I would simply install the new server under the existing E1 configuration. You should be able to use the same installation files for the Linux server as you did for the AIX box.

As for the database platform migration, I already covered that in #3 above.

We just finished migration from HP-UX to Linux (VMWare).

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you are on the same Tools Release, then I would simply install the new server under the existing E1 configuration. You should be able to use the same installation files for the Linux server as you did for the AIX box.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with klwong. But you need to aware of lot of other gliches too.

Sanjiv
Sanjiv

Back