Linux Virtual Server as load balancing solution

AlbertoDangelo

AlbertoDangelo

I wonder if someone has experience configuring Linux Virtual Server as a load balancing solution for E1 logic servers (not for web servers)

Thanks

Look into pfSense. I would definitely think about using FreeBSD as your basis - since it has the fastest TCP/IP stack of any OS (its also why F5 uses FreeBSD as its base OS). However, trying to do what you want is going to be complex and require some indepth TCP/IP stack skills. I would likely just look for a hardware alternative - and if your budget doesn't stretch to a new piece of equipment, you can always buy load-balancers on ebay ! I myself own an Arrowpoint which can load-balance between 8 different physical network connections ! I bought it a while back on ebay for $200 - much cheaper than if I went out and bought a box for loadbalancing...

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if someone has experience configuring Linux Virtual Server as a load balancing solution for E1 logic servers (not for web servers)

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it can be done. I have six virtual weblogic boxes and six virtual logic servers. All are Oracle Enterprise Linix hosted on three Oracle virtual machine hosts. We are using a pair of F5s to do the balancing.

- Gregg

Hi Greg,

We also created Linux Virtual Server (E1INTSVR) to load balance 2 E1 Enterprise Servers (E1ENT01 & E1ENT02)but we are unable to execute logic as its passing virtual name for specs look up in F96511 table.

When we map OCM Default BSFN to run on E1ENT01 or E1INT02 it is working fine but when we use F5 Virtual Name E1INTSVR it is not working.

Your help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lalit Ranka

24 Mar 2011 13:54:30,959 [SEVERE] - [METADATA] PackageLookUpService: Could not find attribute <31> in table F96511 for host <e1intsvr>, port <6015>, pathcode <PY900>.
24 Mar 2011 13:54:30,959 [SEVERE] - [JDBJ] For server <e1intsvr>, port <6015>, pathcode <PY900>, failed to find the deployed package. Aborting the discovery process. com.jdedwards.database.services.packagelookup.PackageLookupServiceException: PackageLookUpService: Could not find attribute <31> in table F96511 for host <e1intsvr>, port <6015>, pathcode <PY900>.

Liat

I could tell you all my trade secrets, but then I wouldn't be able to sell them in a white paper in Andy's esteemed Journal of JDE tips and tricks.
cool.gif

But it's Friday, so I'll throw you a bone. Take a look at the JDE.INI for the servers. In server manager, Network and Queue settings, JDENET configuration, there is a field called "HOSTNAME OVERRIDE". Add in the name "E1INTSVR" to that field. Cycle the services, then change your OCM mappings. At that point your BSFNs will work with the logical name. I will attach a screenshot to this post.

Here is the gotcha that I haven't figured out yet. When you try to deploy a package using the package deploy wizard, JDE will get confused. I will email you directly with our work around.

- Gregg

Attachments

• 167697-hostname override.gif
    473 KB · Views: 114
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your generosity and sharing the solution along with workaround. I am also actively pursuing this with Oracle and I hope we don't have to do any more workaround and they provide us more solid solution. Meanwhile I will definitely give this a shot and will let you know how well this goes with our set-up and environment.

JAS is handling this well using Package Domain Server Parameter in JAS.ini under Package Build section where it is overriding e1 virtual name with physical server name against which package build has been done. we are looking for similar solution to use for Interfaces and Business Services.
[PACKAGE BUILD]
PackageDomainServer=E1INT01 (E1 Physical Server Name)
PackageDomainPort=6015

E1 Virtual Name is working fine for JAS Servers without any issues. Issue is when we try to connect BSSV or other bolt-on using jdeinterop.ini where we dont have this override setting for package discovery.

Regards,
Lalit Ranka
Manager, E1 CNC

[ QUOTE ]
JAS is handling this well using Package Domain Server Parameter in JAS.ini under Package Build section where it is overriding e1 virtual name with physical server name against which package build has been done. we are looking for similar solution to use for Interfaces and Business Services.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lalit,

We have three load balanced BSSV servers. Each server can be addressed directly by Fusion. But we created a virtual name as well. The F5 hosts the virtual name. The Fusion integrations call out to the virtual name. The F5 then decides which BSSV server to send the job to. There is no setup for the virtual name in the BSSV configuration.

Our load balanced weblogic servers follow the same logic. The virtual name is defined on the F5. The F5 decides which box to send the session to.

I would talk about our persistance strategy, but I want to save some of the good stuff for my white paper.

- Gregg

When is your white paper going to be released and how can I get a hold of it?

Back