WS A7.3 (DB2) to E900(Oracle)

KSK

KSK

Well Known Member
Hi All ,

Currently client is using WS A7.3 with database DB2 in AS400 OS

Now the client wants to migrate to E900 with Oracle database in AIX OS

We don’t want to disturb the WS A7.3 system (Old Version)

Question: Can we make an E900 setup with Oracle database and also have the capability to access DB2 information?

Thanks in advance.

There is a manual you should read thoroughly. It's called "Direct Migration from JD Edwards World A7.3 to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.0."

[ QUOTE ]
There is a manual you should read thoroughly. It's called "Direct Migration from JD Edwards World A7.3 to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.0."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being an expert in the topic, but making the leap from World to 9.0 is not child's play. You'll need some heavy hitting consultants on the CNC, app, and database side to make that journey. We made the jump from XE to 9.0 and needed a small army of consultants and supplimental help.

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As Greg suggested, small army of consultants... deterministic upon the length of the migration process, is the size of the army.

That said, one of the requirements to being on the migration team - should be reading that manual... for both the Consultants and the inside project team.... Just a suggestion.... I helped through six migrations in a two year period - World to 8.12... wishing I'd known about the doc. I'm sure the doc would have helped answer many questions (and still would answer questions
grin.gif
, Post Go Live.

As for the availability of World, post E1 - YES. You are migrating to a new Database (not upgrading the one you have), ideally. Once your organization goes live - just turn the World System to Read Only (with a few file exceptions for work-file requirements) - and call it HISTORY.

(db)

grin.gif

Has any one used Oracle Access manager or Oracle Transparent Gateway which enables SQL applications on the IBM iSeries to access and modify data in an Oracle database? I need to find out the pros/cons for this approach.

HI Daniel,
can you give your inputs on Oracle database manager or Oracle Transparent gateway .
I need to find out whether it can be used for Interfacing between COBOL programs (AS400 server) and JDE E1 9.0 that is on AIX Server.

Hi Wip,

I'm not 'technically' qualified to provide the requested info regarding Oracle Database Manager or Oracle Transparent Gateway. Though, to my knowledge, they are only Data Gateways - and don't really allow you to interface 'COBOL' or other Applications (I may be wrong) - they allow you access Date across dissimilar systems.

EnterpriseOne is, for the most part, Database Ignorant. You can actually split your EnterpriseOne data across different Databases (usually, Oracle, DB2 or SQL) and 'usually' only one Database at an instance. You can Map your E1 Data across more than one database and separate databases - if your organization wants to apply the effort....

Thus - from the E1 perspective: You can run E1 and the Oracle DB on AIX and OCM/Map tables into your World Instance - making that info on your iSeries available to E1. Your team 'should' understand the concept of a Virtual Table (you create a File Description in E1, do not Generate, then OCM to that file on the remote system - it may require you to create an SQL View/Logical on the World side).

If you want World to see data on your E1 system - the Gateway(s) are the way to go.

In my earlier days - we did use the Oracle Gateway between an AS/400 and a DEC Alpha Oracle Database. It Worked GREAT! We could easily read/write data across/between E911 and Other Law Enforcement systems.

If you are looking for the ability to run applications between systems - that may be a little trickier. That ability was not available ten years ago and we created some down-right trickory. On both systems we created an 'Application' table. We would write the name of the application we wanted to run on the 'other' system, and a process would read the table and run that process (with any passed variables/options). I believe that gateways have gone a long way since then, but I am unaware of current processes.

It has been a significant time since I've played the Gateway Game - Let me know if you need more.... Feel free to call, if you think I would be of any assistance.

(db)

Back