Data Source Definitions

Jeremy M.

Jeremy M.

Well Known Member
Do most of you have each of your ODBC data sources defined individually rather than defining only the definitions for each of the database servers? For instance having an ODBC definition for Business Data - Test, Control Tables - Test, etc, etc... instead of just one ODBC JDESQL1 for all your data sources?

What kind of impact would it have on the SQL server to define them individual?

The single data source is what the Installation Plan did around 8.11 and 8.12. I think in 9.0, it's swung back the other way, where individual data sources are showing up in the ODBCDataSource.INF file.

I'm not sure I noticed much difference either way in the various places I've seen it. For my installations, I usually did individual ODBC entries for each data source, but I'm old fashioned, and I had problems when they first started doing the single data source, so I just stuck with how I'd done things before and stayed trouble-free.

The complication comes in dealing with 32-bit vs. 64-bit machines. At the current client, there are a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit fat clients, and the ODBC driver location is different for each type. There is, however, only one ODBCDataSource.INF file.

Back